Boss Distortion Pedals

- ask away
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Boss Distortion Pedals

Post by mehta »

steevio wrote:thats a 100% thumbs down on the Metalzone, it really is a horrible pedal, even on a guitar.

agree on the Big Muff thats another classic.

also the Vox Tonebender is a classic, an acid techno band in the 1990s Cubic Space Collective released a track on my label called Tonebender, the entire mix was put through a Tonebender pedal, not a production technique you'll find advised anywhere, but it was a lovely exeprimental fucked up sound.
most guitar people know how that the metalzone is laughable.

I think that running a whole mix through an fx unit is pretty common. technically, it's a good idea to have dry/wet control for the different elements, but not always necessary

honestly though overdrive/distortion is pretty hard to get right with most synth sounds - right now I have an ancient p.a. head running into a DI that does double-duty overdrive/reverb, seems to be doing the trick, but I've had lots of overdrive pedals that never worked with any electronic sounds
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Seems like there are a lot of mixed opinions on the subject.
Unfortunately I am not in a position to buy and try so if I want it I will have to commit the 25 quid.
My plan was to have it on a aux on my mixer and send different drum/synth channels to it for a dirty sound.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i got a muff and it's a bit noisy on synths.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mehta wrote:
steevio wrote:thats a 100% thumbs down on the Metalzone, it really is a horrible pedal, even on a guitar.

agree on the Big Muff thats another classic.

also the Vox Tonebender is a classic, an acid techno band in the 1990s Cubic Space Collective released a track on my label called Tonebender, the entire mix was put through a Tonebender pedal, not a production technique you'll find advised anywhere, but it was a lovely exeprimental fucked up sound.
most guitar people know how that the metalzone is laughable.

I think that running a whole mix through an fx unit is pretty common. technically, it's a good idea to have dry/wet control for the different elements, but not always necessary
yes bro, stereo digital multi effects etc... but not so common maybe a stereo mix through a battery operated noisey 1960s mono guitar fuzz pedal.
or maybe it is common, i dont really know, there must be thousands of people out there doing stuff right now
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

steevio wrote: yes bro, stereo digital multi effects etc... but not so common maybe a stereo mix through a battery operated noisey 1960s mono guitar fuzz pedal.
or maybe it is common, i dont really know, there must be thousands of people out there doing stuff right now
haha, it's pretty much unheard of among modern techno producers, but most of my friends come from very experimental backgrounds so there aren't many surprises left
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

simonb wrote:
mehta wrote:I'd avoid the Metal Zone
My brother is a metal guitarist and he hates it, what chance do we have ;)
Well apparently Daft Punk did not hate it.
juno + MT2 = rollin & scratchin

But the effect is rather extreme indeed. I myself have one (no juno tho :( ), also a Boss OS2 pedal.
I think I prefer the OS2...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Robot Criminal wrote:
simonb wrote:
mehta wrote:I'd avoid the Metal Zone
My brother is a metal guitarist and he hates it, what chance do we have ;)
Well apparently Daft Punk did not hate it.
juno + MT2 = rollin & scratchin
Daft Punk are a prime example of how lo-fi technique is not a barrier to success ... gotta say that "rollin and scratchin" bothers me more every time I hear it though!