Studio equipment always on or not?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio equipment always on or not?

Post by steevio »

Randomseed wrote:Also not all modules come back on in the same state they where in when shut off so that makes that one a no-no when in the middle of a project.
i think it depends on how you work, the only modules in my rig that have unpredictable configurations when switching on are sequencing modules. i have about 8 modules like this, so i simply stop the master clock on the 'one' on my clock divider, and write down the positions of the LEDs of the other sequencing modules in a log book when i power down, it only takes about 10 seconds.
then when i power up, i reset the clock divider, and set all the other sequencing modules to their respective positions from the previous session.
its easy and totally foolproof, ive never lost a configuration. i power down if i'm not going to be using my rig for anything more than 20 minutes.

my only problem is my Moog Voyager, it takes about 20 minutes for the tuning to stabilise, and goes flat if i switch it off and on again, so i have a guitar tuner permanenetly connected to the headphone output and just keep adjusting the tuning for the first 20 minutes after power-up, but if i'm only having a short break, i leave it switched on, i have it on a separate power feed to the rest of my rig, so i can switch the rest off.

to me its insane and irresponsible to leave equipment on burning energy and money uneccesarily.