Studio equipment always on or not?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio equipment always on or not?

Post by oblioblioblio »

I'm a total control freak and worryer and keeping my gear happy keeps me holding on!

Yeah well designed gear shouldn't really be troubled by the odd on off switching, but I'm personally ultra massively sensitive about looking after it all. With all my worrying about switching I think I've only left my set up on overnight once by accident.

I would totally massively echo the advice about well designed gear... most of my stuff is made by worriers like me and designed to last until the human race destroys itself from overconsumption and leaving all their machines running 24/7!!! :)
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

oblioblioblio wrote:most of my stuff is made by worriers like me and designed to last until the human race destroys itself from overconsumption and leaving all their machines running 24/7!!! :)
We have charts and tables at work showing the likelyhood of hard drive failure per month for the first three years of the products life. The manufacturers can say for certainty that after 36 months, x% of the products will have failed, to several decimal places of accuracy.

Accessories and media for older gear is getting tougher to source.
I recently bought a 40 year old Harman Kardon hk1000 tape deck for a few bucks (whoo!!) and it's in great condition, but I spent a whole day wandering around the city looking for a place to buy new cassettes...
And, it's already even more difficult to find a smart media card for my 8 year old Korg EMX.
The lifetime of stuff is getting shorter all the time.

And no, I dont really think turning things on and off once a day makes a difference to their lifetime. A much, MUCH bigger factor for their life length is if you smoke in your studio. Just contributing to the discussion is all :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Your posts have been very informative and totally spot on. Two engineer friends of mine have said about lead free solder, and the fact that they hate it. The EU directive to only use LF is safer for planned obsolescence gear but does not offer support to designers who are aiming for 100 plus years, which is what most of the designers I support are aiming for.

That's really shocking and scary that high accuracy for predicting failure. I guess it's the design constraint... cheap as possible, as new as possible.

P.S. get your tapes here. http://nationalaudiocompany.com/Default.aspx

There was some debate on a forum about whether they have their own plant or whether they're repacking spools they bought from the halcyon days of tape, but the general consensus is that they're very high quality.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
And no, I dont really think turning things on and off once a day makes a difference to their lifetime. A much, MUCH bigger factor for their life length is if you smoke in your studio. Just contributing to the discussion is all :)
exactly, smoking doesnt just kill you.

another factor is that every bit of kit is different, they all have ideosynchracies and quirks.

with older gear by far the biggest cause of faults is mechanical, for instance the TB303 is renouned for the push switches failing due to the fact that dead skin cells get into the contacts as their is no barrier from the facia. it took 28 years for it to happen to mine, but i had to replace the switches and took the advice of Devilfish and put a plastic barrier sheet in.
there's never any problems with the pots, which must be sealed well.

the SH101 on the other hand has fader issues. again the pots are fine, but some of the overused faders (like the filter cutoff) can gradually deteriorate becoming crackly (after 20 years or so) both mine have a few dodgy ones, but i still use them ok.

with more modern gear the faults are quite often either again mechanical, namely digital encoders, or poor quality power supplies.
my alesis andromeda and prophet 08 both had rubbish encoders, (i got rid of both synths ) yet my Nord 3 and Nord lead have been rock solid.

some of the octave switches on my Moog Voyager started going wrong within a few months, i've been living with it but got some replacement ones from Moog so that if they go its a quick fix , and yet all the encoders are fine after 6 years.

the Nord 3 was fitted with inferior power supplies compared to the older models, my Nord 3 and my mates Nord 3's power supplies died at about the same time.

on the other hand my 60 or so eurorack modules i bought 2 to 3 years ago, have been totally reliable, ive got one slightly scratchy pot out of the hundreds in the rig. they dont draw large currents when switched on other than the Metasonix modules which surge up to 8 times their running current to fire up the tubes. the six doepfer power supplies are going strong despite being run right up to their limit.

all of my outboard gear, Effects, dynamics processors etc. have been totally trouble free, most of it has been used for over ten years

what i'm saying is that switching on and off gear is really unlikely to damage any components, i have had alot of different pieces of kit through my studio, over many years and i cant think of a single component thats failed ( that must be hunderds of thousands of components ) other than a few pots and encoders which is a mechanical fault and nothing to do with switching on and off.
the only thing where i could make a connection is with modern power supplies, so you just replace your power supply !
if its a wall-wart you buy new one for a couple of quid, if its internal then it might cost you a bit more and if you cant fit it yourself (which is usually an easy job) the cost of the repairer.

i hope this info is of some use to somebody.

oh yeah and i dont allow smoking in my studio !
SafeandSound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SafeandSound »

Back in the old days when PSU's (power supplies) were more flaky it was often best to leave equipment on, now I turn all mine off... a few reasons.

Valves last longer
Less fire risk
Greener, Class A equipment power draw is not inconsiderable
Power supplies are well built enough to withstand repeated on/off switch cycles
Electrolytic caps dry out less slowly (and therefore work withing spec for longer)

Thats why I turn my equipment off.

cheers
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

I end up leaving everything on for weeks at a time just because the save routine to make sure everything in each piece of gear is saved and recalls correctly from the central sequencer takes an hour all by itself. Aint nobody got time for that.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the person who builds my synths told me not to care about on/off cycles
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

Also not all modules come back on in the same state they where in when shut off so that makes that one a no-no when in the middle of a project.