Tips on recording tracks live.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Tips on recording tracks live.

Post by steevio »

Ingemar wrote: - don't go into live recording thinking that it has to be done this or that way, that there is more prestige in mixing live (that it's more detroit, old school, authentic or whatever one might call it).

:-flower
there is definitely no more prestige to mixing live, its just one way to do things, no better or worse than any other way.
and its individual preference whether you go all out live or a mixture of live and design.
i started out totally live then i spent 10 years with a mixture of live and design, and have only returned to all-out live in the last three or four years.
my advice of going all out live is purely based on personal preference due to my recent experiences, and my massively increased workflow.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

There has to be some prestige in live mixing though if one can master it. Coming up with a one take track that is mixed right and has enough interesting content over 8-16 channels to keep the listener focused takes some skill in my eyes (or ears).
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

prestige is a dead ostrich around your shoulders of a word though. Recording live is not about the skill, it's about the results. With practice it just becomes instinctive. And you don't think about the 6 minutes that turned out great as being golden, you think about all the run throughs that were shite. And whether or not you can really be bothered to listen to the 100 hours of recordings that are on an Ipod that you sold to your mum that is formatted for Mac and you don't have a Mac any more.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

haha, great results. true prestige in music is reserved for a few - for example, anton webern (whose complete works represent the untouchable culmination of modernism despite only being maybe 2 hours in total length). give it up

deeply appreciate ingemar's post in this thread
Last edited by mehta on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Yes yes yes you are right chaps. I think however my setup is shitty so will have a rant in another post.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

eggnchips wrote:Yes yes yes you are right chaps. I think however my setup is shitty so will have a rant in another post.
Didn't you have a Machinedrum? I've heard some really impressive pieces written entirely on a MD-UW.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Barfunkel wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Yes yes yes you are right chaps. I think however my setup is shitty so will have a rant in another post.
Didn't you have a Machinedrum? I've heard some really impressive pieces written entirely on a MD-UW.
Yeah the MD is great but not so good for synth stuff.
Why did you sell all your gear by the way?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

eggnchips wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
Yeah the MD is great but not so good for synth stuff.
Why did you sell all your gear by the way?
I wasn't happy with my setup and I also needed a break from making music. I felt I couldn't create what I wanted with my old setup. I'm happy with a few of my tunes musically, but they don't sound professional enough.

I've already planned a new setup though, just haven't found a way to fund it yet!