Musically Strange Phenomena!

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Musically Strange Phenomena!

Post by AK »

No I haven't but it's something I will do later on when I get time. In fact, I should really familiarize myself more with analyzers because frequencies are becoming more and more important in the way my musical mind works.

I know I have asked you this before and you told me but what analyzer do you recommend? ( I have since had a fresh install of Windows and forgot to back up a lot of freeware apps and plugins so I forget )

Cheers bro!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Cheers Jonas, thanks for the input, you must have submitted that as I was typing. yeah, I'm kind of aware of these things but feel a bit lost when trying to account for them in a sound and esp. with something like a sampled sound because since I have not made it, I'm guessing really at what harmonics are present or simply not taking them into account.

I should delve more into additive synthesis I think, might help me a lot with this. :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i use a free one called visual analyser from this company;

http://www.sillanumsoft.org/

its an oscilloscope too, i have it permanently plumbed into my system on an auxilliary on my desk, (its on an old laptop) so i can analyse anything at anytime, i must be looking at it 20% of the time i'm in the studio
Last edited by steevio on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Maybe obivous but you could try filtering the sample sound in very drastic ways to understand it better. Try omitting some of the tones played in the chord and so on.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thanks Steevio, that was the one........ 8)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

The problems you are having sound very similar to the issues I was having in my Tuning Samples thread.
I would have thought that the spectrum analyser would give you better results from single note rather than a chord. I think an EP has a very harmonicaly rich sound. In a chord some of those harmonics are going to be beating each other.

Let me know what you discover. I'm still having issues with this now
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote: I would have thought that the spectrum analyser would give you better results from single note rather than a chord. I think an EP has a very harmonicaly rich sound. In a chord some of those harmonics are going to be beating each other.
not really bro, an analyser tells you exactly what frequencies are there whether its a single note or a chord.

i always have a harmonic series chart on my wall, and you can easily work out which harmonics are with which notes. after a few months of doing it you dont even need to look at the chart, you just know whats going on. I can look at a spectrum and within seconds tell you whats happening with the harmonics, it becomes second nature very quickly.
you just have to get into the habit. i dont need any encouragement, the whole thng just fascinates me, i couldnt produce now without a permenantly plumbed in analyser and oscilloscope.

try it, you'll be hooked in no time.