sensory overload when producing

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

sensory overload when producing

Post by oblioblioblio »

Does anyone else get to a point when they are working, where you get a sound exactly where you want it, or get surprised by something, and you like it so much that you have to run away?

I seem to do this really often, and I have to go and hide somewhere before I can face it again... I don't know whether it's becuase I know I can only listen to the sound so much before I get bored of it, so want to keep it special. Or maybe it's just me being a wimp and I should just stay with it? Or maybe I'm just totally rubbish and I'm looking for an excuse to waste time doing something else?
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: sensory overload when producing

Post by eggnchips »

I often get butterflies in my stomach followed by some bowel movement. I then go and sit on the bog for half an hour and read the paper.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Usually when I get something I really like, it get super focused or I immediately move on to something else in the tune.

When I first read the title, I thought it was referring to having a tv or internet in the studio. I have both, but sometimes I wish I didn't have the internet. It's too easy to get bored and start clicking around.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

anything other than my studio gear is an absolute no for me.

my studio computer has never been connected to the internet.

if i get something i like alot, thats - get the supplies in and lock the door
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:Does anyone else get to a point when they are working, where you get a sound exactly where you want it, or get surprised by something, and you like it so much that you have to run away?
YES! Just have a Tommy Tank and then it all goes away. Many times I have felt like jacking off to the brilliance that is I but with me, I often hear it again in the morning and I'm not so excited any longer lol.

You can defo get energy from sounds you create, it's the driving force for me, I love it. Not that I'm a great synthesist but I still love exploring new avenues. If you're always exploring, you are bound to find these gems. I love music, I live it, it forms a part of my personality and I love reading about threads like this when music touched them. I have struggeled to get back into music since the death of our child. I still live and breathe it, at every moment and write little passages but my heart and soul is always in this stuff. That spark of a certain 'something' you talk about makes it all worthwhile. That is the beauty of it all, :D
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK, ha! I think you're right, a lot of the problem can be overthinking things and sometimes you just need to forget about everything and be in the moment, alcohol or weed or something also can be effective.

Sad to hear about your difficulties. I often have a feeling that hard things only ever happen to other people and that you can expect life to always provide clean happy living, but all people get dealt terrible hands at one point or other.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I usually get really focused, when i start having something really good. But some times, i also end up loosing myself in it. Playing so much with it that it becomes something else that i don't like so much more any more :)

@AK:
So sorry for your loss, man. Having recently become a father, i can't even imagine how that would make me feel. But, as you wrote, i believe music would be somewhere I would escape in. My thoughts go to you.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yeah AK bro, thats such terrible news..

love and light to you and your lass from me and suzy