Problems using Maschine as Midi interface.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Problems using Maschine as Midi interface.

Post by eggnchips »

Hey chaps,

I dusted off my old MFB Synth Lite II that had been in my drawer for ages, and decided to get it back on the go.
I linked it up via Midi to my Maschine's Midi out, and played some notes within Ableton.
Seems the messages are coming through really badly as the notes don't play right, i.e. pitch all over the place, sustained notes, notes not playing and basically not very nice noise. It all seems to be quite random. I checked for other Midi info possibly leaving the Maschine but I can't find anything.
I switched interface to the Elektron TM-1 I got with my MD and it the MFB works fine.
The Maschine works fine with my other gear so have you guys got any ideas why it isn't talking to my MFB very well?
Maybe I will have to switch to the Elektron TM-1. but would prefere to keep using the Maschine as my interface.

Cheers.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Problems using Maschine as Midi interface.

Post by Opuswerk »

You must have Maschine sending notes from the sequencer too, so the MFB is getting too many notes. If i remember correctly, you can change that in the preferences. Else, try and change the MIDI channel of the MFB to something nothing else is using in your kit.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I gave up as using the same set up but sending Midi notes to my JX3P instead worked fine.
I then took the same cable to the MFB instead and same problem with faint, missed, high notes.
Tried the setup with the Elektron interface and there were no problems there either with the MFB playing fine.
Seems that the MFB somehow doesn't like the Mashine's Midi notes.
I guess I'll just have to use the Elektron instead.
I wonder how this could be.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I bet you're having an issue with your MIDI channels. Check those, and check maybe the length of the note Maschine's puts out.

Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

every now and then you stumble across some old chap who has great arcane knowledge about midi, and wants to share it. As for me, I'm content with knowing that it's a science too vast to take in for one who has never made use of din-cables. Anyhoo, joke aside, afaik you need a bit of luck when linking hardware, sometime the midi-systems simply clash (96bit sync and whatnot). For instance, Jomox arent the key player in my setup.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Got this answer from another forum that makes sense: 'Unfortunately it's a limitation of Live that midi output from VST plugins cannot be separated by channel..'
Dumb that it doesn't work.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

eggnchips wrote:Got this answer from another forum that makes sense: 'Unfortunately it's a limitation of Live that midi output from VST plugins cannot be separated by channel..'
Dumb that it doesn't work.
I think thats changing in Ableton 9...
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Maybe grab the live 9 beta then?