- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: layer claps

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:
I actually knew you were gonna jump in with something along those lines as I remember it from before. I can see why a clap/snare on the 2 & 4 for you would be a hate thing, it's completely out of the question because of how you write and how your musical mind works but it isn't a cliche'. It's just the percussive polar opposite of the kickdrum. A snare, a clap etc. I see it as the 'call and response' thing like in any other percussive led scenario. I think you just hate 4/4 where a snare or a clap on the 2/4 makes it even more 4/4.

Lol. :lol:
i think it would be an interesting discussion to talk about why we love and hate the 2/4 clap thing, i could talk about it forever, but its unfair to hi-jack this thread, so i'm sorry for being tangential, and will stfu.
If you fancy discussing it, we could always start a thread about it, personally i think its something that anchors this music and stops it progressing, house music is about the only form of music i know of which appears to have remained virtually unchanged for nearly 30 years, if you look at almost any other music, it rapidly evolves and mutates, which to me is exhilarating and what music is all about, but with 90% of house, another generation comes along and repeats the formula.
but listen to people like Jus Ed, Fred P, Joey Anderson etc.. these guys dont follow the formula, and its the only house music i can listen to these days, their music is open and flowing..

ive said too much
You're a good guy Steevio and for me, your music is mindblowlingly fantastic. I'm always inspired when you talk and I always look up to you but as an open - minded guy, I never rule out or diss anything musically. I am of the opinion that everything can function in its musical environment. For me, it's all about context and then how you apply stuff, why it's there, what is it doing, is it needed etc, etc.

I do listen to people like Us Ed etc. I drive home with his track playing over and his use of claps in that record is superb. I absolutely adore that track and so does the missus, it's retro futurism and totally within the context of the music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: I never rule out or diss anything musically. I am of the opinion that everything can function in its musical environment.
you're right, totally bro.

my dislike of anything in music is always based on over-exposure. somethings just become so over-used that they start to grate on my nerves, its a natural phenomena for any musician, its how music has always evolved.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with emphasising the backbeat with claps, they can function perfectly well in their musical environment, they perform a function which is tried and tested, some tracks couldnt even exist without them, but that doesnt mean they are immune to evolution.

now going to watch some comedy :D

edit, sorry AK, should have said you are too kind with your positive comments :oops:
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Btw, how does one do those flammed hip hop claps?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

What part u having trouble with? U seem to explain the answer in your question.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

lem wrote:What part u having trouble with? U seem to explain the answer in your question.
Yeah, I usually pencil in a midi note without much velocity shortly followed by one with some more velocity but have trouble getting the feel right.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

ever tried using gear where you have "flam" as an available parameter ?
Battery 3 is the first one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there must be many others that have this as well.
Even my old (circuitbent) R5 has a "flam" button.

Something tells me these hip-hoppers are probably not very likely to be drawing in velocity curves, but will most likely just prefer hitting the "flam" button :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:
lem wrote:What part u having trouble with? U seem to explain the answer in your question.
Yeah, I usually pencil in a midi note without much velocity shortly followed by one with some more velocity but have trouble getting the feel right.
its just a case of moving them around, forward and backward and adjust the velocities and spacing till it feels right. remember thats three variables, thats a lot of room for it to sound wrong, and usually only one permutation thats exactly right.

experiment and you'll get it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah, there is no other way. Not as far as I am aware. If you are using samples, an amount of silence before the sample starts could be something of interest to avoid messing about with little details like velocity editing and penciling in notes but I guess that would be hit and miss.

I love the Redrum in Reason for basic beats and one of the things to remember ( if its something you use??? ) is that each time you add a redrum to the rack, they can be individually set to run at different resolutions to each other. Ie: Redrum one, running at 1/16 resolution, Redrum 2 could be running at say 1/128 or 1/64 resolution. With something like 1/64 or 1/128 resolution, obviously it would be cycling really fast against the Redrum running at the regular 1/16 and not much use for most things but it can be great for the kind of thing you want because instead of putting say a clap dead on the beat, you can put it a step before but because of the resolution, it will sound like a slight flam.

Just another thing to throw in there for you, have no idea if you even use the thing lol but if like me, you like to keep drums in pattern devices and not in the sequencer lane, if the 'drum machine' allows it, it's a useful bit of info. Doing that though usually means you have to automate a mute, either on the mixer channel or on the Redrum device or jump to an empty pattern and then back again because if it's set to 1/128th resolution and the maximum step length for a pattern is 64, there will be too many claps/snares.