Then end of 2012 - What have you learned?

- ask away
simonlb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Then end of 2012 - What have you learned?

Post by simonlb »

The importance of just sitting down and working on music as much as possible. I'm still working on my procrastination and making time but it's becoming more obvious that getting to where you want with production really does just require a shitload of time...
thomasa
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thomasa »

simonlb wrote:The importance of just sitting down and working on music as much as possible. I'm still working on my procrastination and making time but it's becoming more obvious that getting to where you want with production really does just require a shitload of time...

Yeah. I've come to the conclusion that if I really want to do this and have records by myself released, I have to immerse myself in the music. No matter how busy my day is, especially when I have a 4 year old. Gotta put the time in. You're in competition with professionals that work on music full time. The bar is set very high.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thomasa wrote: You're in competition with professionals that work on music full time. The bar is set very high.
its not really a competition though mate. those professionals had to start out as non-professionals like everyone else, maybe think of your fellow musicians as a family not cut throat competition.

yes the bar is set high, but maybe thats because theres so many great musicians out there, not necessarily because they spend more time in the studio. most of the successful guys i know work increadibly fast, they never procrastinate, they know instantly when something's right or wrong and they move on. theyre just great musicians. many of them hardly have time for the studio because they're always away gigging.

believe in yourself and be patient, and yes put the time in as much as you can. there's a theory of the '10,000 hour rule' and that to be really good at anything you must spend 10,000 hours practicing and learning, and its especially true of musicians. (thats about 7 years, working 4 hours every single day)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

::BLM:: wrote:
Opuswerk wrote: Playing records and buying them is much more fun than mp3s. I mean how are you gonna hand your MP3 collection to your kids when you grow old?[/list]
ha yeah, that's if you ever let go of them! my old man absolutely refuses to let go of his LARGE collection of records. has them all stored in the garage and never plays them, but still wont let me have them.

anyhow happy new year to you lot.
Very true. same goes with my old man.

About the competition, I'm very much lined up with what steevio said. The bar is set high, but that's not to compete, but to help be self critical about your own work imo. To me, one of the best compliment would be to have someone i really look up to, tell me they were inspired by something i did. Also, the more i've been involved with this whole techno thing, the more i realise it's really a big family, especially as nowadays, there's so little money to be made. Those sticking to it, really do it for the love, and i believe it's showing.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote: Also, the more i've been involved with this whole techno thing, the more i realise it's really a big family, especially as nowadays, there's so little money to be made. Those sticking to it, really do it for the love, and i believe it's showing.
word !
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Last christmas i got ok monitors as a present. Since i was more or less working on computer speakers before that change has ment alot for how my mixes sound and also for sound design purposes.

I started using a roland jv1080 as part of my setup. I use it to do "live takes" while modifying parameters on it and then overdubbing new sounds. Doing these takes over tracks gives you a much better view of whats going on in the track then just listening to it.

Also I've become alot better at killing my darlings. If parts of track don't work I just save a copy and then delete and move on, a few weeks later I might give the old version a listen just to make sure that I wasn't wrong but I almost never bring back something I deleted.

Been a lot less on the forum, sorta sucks but I guess I've been making music and doing other stuff.
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

i should try to trust my self more, with the ideas what i got
and use more energy to the actual process of doing tracks than blaming my self about almost everything.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I just want to add an important part of 2012 for me,

Having a day of education at Steevio's, It did change how I thought about writing music. Lots of what he has said on here clicked into place and it really advanced my composition techniques in a very short space of time.

Thanks man x
hydrogen wrote: Also really inspired by some of the people here lem, opuswerk, steevio, livecollective, nakordamies, miro, BLM, kristofason... more of you i know (sorry..) ... Your music and all the discussion to be inspired about music has been a blessing.
Hydrogen, your music is way up there for me. Your track 'basement sketch' sounds absolutely sick on my Adams! I have deffo had the slowmo vibe this year! My tracks are getting slower and slower all the time! Thanks for all the influence and the late night chats!
Opuswerk wrote:....... To me, one of the best compliment would be to have someone i really look up to, tell me they were inspired by something i did...
I think I meantioned to you a while ago how one of your tunes on the 1883 EP blew me away. I had loads of inspiration from that one tune. I actually played it in a back room on NYE, there is a drop in the middle of the tune and the place went OFF!! I kinda wish it was being filmed really.
I was listening to your new techno tunes last night (I try to avoid your stuff because it always makes my production sound really bad! :lol: ), there is one that I had to listen about 6 times. I have the Youtube link saved on my desktop, gonna session that when I get home. Its the first +125bpm techno I have heard in ages that I have actually liked. Its kinda spurring me on to work at that tempo again.

I have said it once before, but will say it again. I am more impressed/influenced by what some of you guys do than anything else. If I ran an event, I would book you all.