Christmas Music.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Christmas Music.

Post by eggnchips »

First of all, merry Xmas Mnml people.
I want to talk about the Xmas songs we admire as after numerous Xmas years of listening to it, I came across the thought that 'Last Christmas' by George Michael is actually a really well produced and put together master piece, with amazing vocals, rhythmic synth pad/synth lead and drum machine popping away in the back ground. I know it's a really cheesy hit but I started to listen to it's mechanics and realized how well it's was written and produced.
What are your thoughts on this and are there any cheesy hits ( not just Christmas ones) that you really admire?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Christmas Music.

Post by oblioblioblio »

The mechanics of pop music is really interesting. A good pop record should be able to be listened to many times a day without getting annoying, should have ultra tight presentation, to be as ultra concise as possible without sacrificing tunefulness. And to be able to reel you in on first listen.

I hate pop music! It's like the opposite of what I always end up making. The music that I make kind of requires the listener to bend themselves to the music, rather than in pop, where the music is heavily shaped towards the needs of the listener. But for me, I like music where you have to explore it yourself, and sometimes you don't get it right away. Or you need to be in a certain frame of mind to be really affected by it.

I'm in two minds whether these things oppose each other or not. I guess seeing as the music I make is unpopular I'm probably more bitter and would say that music has more ability to change people's consciousness when it's more of an altered reality experience, rather than something that caters to an existing reality. Maybe these things don't oppose each other at all and I just made all that up.

As far as music that I like myself, I often really enjoy music that incorperates elements of pop, the tunefulness, the accessiblity, the simplicity. But as far as enjoying chart music, it's only one tune in a million that really does anything for me. The Pogues 'Fairytale of New York' is the only Christmas song I like, cos it's so real at a time where everything is so fake.
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

Robbie Williams seems to pop out one or two times a day in my playlist, haha
bam
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I know we all think today's pop music is pretty bad and against what we stand for but I often really admire how some of the most simple, outrageous and wild ideas make it big. Of course we all listen to the radio and complain how sh!t it is, but one has to respect the writers for coming up with their whacky ideas and pushing them forward. Something we all could learn from.
One of the first guys doing this was Malcolm Mclaren who managed to get a song about Skipping in the charts.

We are riding on the underground and thinking we are doing something a little alternative to the mainstream, but if we took a lesson from the mainstream
maybe we would come up with something a little more boundary pushing ourselves instead of following our own trends.