Relationships and making music

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Relationships and making music

Post by Hades »

mind you I fear the day my daughters are gonna go "dad, why do we always have to listen to that techno of yours ?? It's driving us crazy !!"
Right now my oldest (5) loves coming in the studio and pushing buttons and turning knobs, and she usually likes the music I put on,
but some day she'll turn into some rebelling teenager that has to hate the music her dad likes.
It's either that or she'll throw me out of my studio to make her own music.

Not sure which one is best... -urk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote:mind you I fear the day my daughters are gonna go "dad, why do we always have to listen to that techno of yours ?? It's driving us crazy !!"
Right now my oldest (5) loves coming in the studio and pushing buttons and turning knobs, and she usually likes the music I put on,
but some day she'll turn into some rebelling teenager that has to hate the music her dad likes.
It's either that or she'll throw me out of my studio to make her own music.

Not sure which one is best... -urk
dont worry bro, my three kids come out raving with me now, (29,22, and 18) they are all into it especially the two younger ones. they never really were much into it when they were little.
mr lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mr lee »

Happy wife, happy life.

My wife is very supportive of my adventures, and in-turn, I'm supportive of hers. She's a clothing designer/photographer. We both work professionally as creatives, and we've learned to bounce ideas and help each other grow stronger.

She's getting more and more into music, but doesn't have the dedication to stay interested. But she comes out to gigs and hangs in the studio every so often.
thomasa
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thomasa »

I started to write on this subject since I have a bit to say. I am a married guy on the final leg of finishing a divorce. To ensure that what I have to say is as clear and unbiased (because if I keep typing, this advice, thing will turn into a bearing my soul rant and no one wants that lol), I'll just say this despite how melancholy I may be feeling:

You can do what you want to do, and be in a relationship at the same time. It can work, but you have to ensure that however may hours you spend on your craft, you have to spend just as much, if not more on your relationship. If you really want it that is. Be cautions of the person that wants all of your time and will try their best to limit your time honing your craft just to absorb the difference. Those are the ones that are out to change/mold you into their liking. The best kind seems to leave you unstudied.

Don't waste your life with someone unsupportive of your endeavours. Not liking the same things you like and being unsupportive are two different things. Learn to know the difference. If someone is just not into what you are doing, that's fine. Not everyone will understand why you do what you do, but if that same person constantly shoots disparaging remarks or make similar actions, you may be wasting each others time.

Know when to say "NO" to both your mate, and your music. Both will get upset, and throw fits or pout, but that's fine. Both will understand why you did what you did in time. Or not. Just keep it moving.

That's it. Stopping here.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I prefer to not date someone in the scene... (just commenting that someone you may date may not be into the same type of music) they can't hate it of course but it's my preference.. plus I'm over 30 so I'd like something long term...dating a dope attic isn't appealing unless is just for a night of fun.. even then...

my entire life I've never had a relationship with someone from the scene. I strongly prefer to keep them completely separate.. no worries, no potential drama at party's/gig's.. there just there to support a place I want to visit..vs. telling me that so and so dj's in town..and that so and so has ________ ha.
mr lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mr lee »

john clees wrote:I prefer to not date someone in the scene... (just commenting that someone you may date may not be into the same type of music) they can't hate it of course but it's my preference.. plus I'm over 30 so I'd like something long term...dating a dope attic isn't appealing unless is just for a night of fun.. even then...

my entire life I've never had a relationship with someone from the scene. I strongly prefer to keep them completely separate.. no worries, no potential drama at party's/gig's.. there just there to support a place I want to visit..vs. telling me that so and so dj's in town..and that so and so has ________ ha.

find someone just as jaded as you are... then you don't have to go through that awkward phase of explaining to someone what a rave is, and then convince them that you are normal. :lol:
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

not dating a woman who does drugs on a regular basis or is attempting to climb the social scene latter is just a preference and where I'm at in my life..
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

find your soulmate, no matter how old you /she is, whether shes in the scene or not.

just find your soulmate :)