Direct from the pressing plants or use a middleman?

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Direct from the pressing plants or use a middleman?

Post by eggnchips »

Hey chaps,
I know some of us here have label experience so I was wondering if any of you know the difference between going direct to the pressing plants or using a middleman such as HWC? What do HWC provide that can't be obtained by going straight to the plant, and is what is HWC's cut on it all?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Direct from the pressing plants or use a middleman?

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:Hey chaps,
I know some of us here have label experience so I was wondering if any of you know the difference between going direct to the pressing plants or using a middleman such as HWC? What do HWC provide that can't be obtained by going straight to the plant, and is what is HWC's cut on it all?
i dont know HWC, but ive had to use brokers on several occassions in the past and every experience was a nightmare.

these guys are taking your money for doing what you could do yourself in 10 minutes, and usually doing it badly.
Handle with Care put an entirely wrong set of labels on one of my releases, 350 were sold with the wrong label, with the wrong artist etc by the distributor before i realised and made them destroy the remaining copies. Thery also lost a laquer of one of my releases, which then had to be recut, the release being delayed by months.
Another broker lost 3000 specially coloured sleeves of mine, they just 'misplaced them' then became difficult and i never got them or the money back.
i could go on and on, everything takes longer, by going directly to the pressing plant, i can have a test pressing within 4 days of the laquer being delivered, and the finished copies within 7 days of me ok' ing the laquer. 11 days instead of quite often 2 months when ive used a broker.

my advice - do it yourself (with everything wherever you can) unless you can get a good P&D
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Well that's whom I meant by HWC - Handle With... I just didn't want to be too blatant about it.
I never thought about doing it myself I just took the first option but maybe it makes more sense to go alone.
Do you know what their cut is on a release?
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:
Another broker lost 3000 specially coloured sleeves of mine, they just 'misplaced them' then became difficult and i never got them or the money back.
How the f%&k can anybody lose 3000 sleeves?
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

hwc have been excellent with us for many years. no problems at all.

our turnaround time is also the same as steevio's with hwc. i think perhaps something just fucked up when he used them, because we have been using them solidly for years without no problems.

the reason for us going through hwc is because we get a better price. they obviously put so much work into the pressing plant they can get a great price.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
yeah i have no doubt some people have no problems whatsoever, but i've had loads with at least 4 different companies.
i havent found it any cheaper to go through a broker.

we all have different experiences,
by coordinating everything myself, i make sure everything is done exactly how i want it, using which ever company is best for each job, the cut is especially important, attending the cut is the single most important part of the chain for me. being there when your tunes are being mastered is a 100% must if you are a perfectionist and you dont want something being done to your tracks that affects the tonal balance of the percussive elements. for me this is essential to the groove being what you intended it to be.

i even specify the cutting room and attend the cut of my P&D deal with decks.de
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

can someone tell me what the prices are for let's say a pressing of 500 copy's with just a normal white sleeve?
Can't find it on the website and i don't want to bother the company already with questions without being even sure if i gonna do this.
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

kdgh wrote:can someone tell me what the prices are for let's say a pressing of 500 copy's with just a normal white sleeve?
Can't find it on the website and i don't want to bother the company already with questions without being even sure if i gonna do this.

United Records has a quote generator for such things
http://www.urpressing.com/quotegen12.php

and thanks for dropping all the knowledge in this thread Steevio, you are gracious to offer your insight on all these processes