Using "real" instruments

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Using "real" instruments

Post by Phase Ghost »

When I'm in the mood to do more melodic music, I use my bass to create the melodies. Logic has a really cool feature called "Audio to Score" that I recently discovered. It converts pitch to midi notes and is surprisingly accurate. It still needs cleaned up a little and doesn't handle sliding very well, but overall it's pretty cool.

I rarely use anything I play in a track, because I'm not the most proficient player yet, but I prefer it 100x more than a keyboard for generating ideas.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Using "real" instruments

Post by optX »

Phase Ghost wrote:Logic has a really cool feature called "Audio to Score" that I recently discovered.
Is there a function or plugin in Live too which could to this?

I always recorded E-Basses DI (had a nice tube pre/di for this purpose but no Bass Amp) which gave very nice results. I duplicated the track and put Softubes`s Bass Amp Room on the second DI track and blended them to taste.
Bass Amp Room is really cool which can give a nice edgy amp feeling to a DI sound. Especially in conjunction with well recorded DI Basses you can achieve really good results.

But close mic recording shouldn`t be a problem in an ordinary bedroom. People recorded great drums in a 3x3m room, of course without any room ambience. But a lot of amps are sounding better when the gain is turned up pretty much so it can get very loud :-sta