How to get that techno sound?

- ask away
Nicklas_Enace
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to get that techno sound?

Post by Nicklas_Enace »

Hi there.

I´m looking for tips / tuts to get that specifik techno sound.

The sound that I´m looking for is that techno reverb/industrial bass. Something like Joseph Capriati.

I havent found any good tips of this....
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How to get that techno sound?

Post by Bionic_Eye »

www.subsekt.com
got some great articles about those elements
Nicklas_Enace
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nicklas_Enace »

Bionic_Eye wrote:www.subsekt.com
got some great articles about those elements
yeah.. I know.. I started the thread there, but it ended up in a discussion about what the true techno sound is and so on.

:P
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

yep..it's quite busy over there,init?... :lol:
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

There is no "one techno sound". Learn what makes the different genres tick. Like house/garage uses many different phrases (verse/chorus) in a song each with different characteristics like vocals cut off, rimshots before and after the snare/clap etc etc. Techno used to be made of loops running over in each other in one crazy, tribal mayhem like Ben Sims used to do with a simple monotonic bass. Techno is still is kind of monotonous, imagine like being on a train, going on a on, subtle changes in drum parts and fx keep building and building with some white noise crashes/splashes behind it (i know, done to death, but to give an example). Look up some dark atmospheric sound like a industrial hall full machines and put it low in your track etc. Find some perc/found samples. slam it through an effect chain of reverb, delay and a flanger and see what you can come up with. You want a dirty bass, take sawtooth, lp filter 24, low filter it at 25%, resonance up for 33%, filter envelope to taste. Split the frequencies, one for sub and one for the upper signal and cram the upper signal through a distortion unit (quality differs) to taste. Voila dirty industrial bass. Techno is dirty, dirty drums, rough edges. Sounds of a metal pipe clinging in the background. Maybe a monotonous stab with a tape delay to try with a bassline running underneath it all based on repetition.

It's your world, music is what you want it to be. It's the sounds that make the genre.
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

for gods sake.. MORE WHITE NOISE!!!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

to make techno, techno has to be in your soul.

go to techno clubs, absorb the sounds and the rhythms, fall in love with techno.
then go and make some of your own music with all of those subconscious influences.

dont ask how to make this sound or that sound, or what you do will be a sham, it will be obvious to anyone who knows, it will never have the power of the original pioneers of that sound.

i could replace the word techno with house or dub or anything for that matter, and it would all still be true.

and i dont accept that there is a ceratin set of sounds that make a genre, the first Detroit techno records sounded nothing like the description a few posts above, some had vocals and were melodic, spacey and psychedelic, industrial techno is just one small sub-genre, techno is a huge genre encompassing everything from Jazz to African tribal and beyond, if you let yourself try to imitate one particular techno sound you will paint yourself into a corner