When mastering, where should i cut off in the low end?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: When mastering, where should i cut off in the low end?

Post by steevio »

kdgh wrote:I want to add something about cutting with a 48db/o filter. The funny party is that such kinda filter creates an enourmess resonance on the frequency you're cutting on.
only if the filter has resonance set to more than zero, or no control over the resonance.

it depends on the filter.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Interesting this comes up, as i had quite a heated debate about this topic with an sound guy here. He was basically saying that a high-pass or lo-cut, is basically a filter with an infinite slope. However, I remember reading somewhere, that the higher the slope of the filter the higher the resonance at the cutoff point. I've been trying to find it back, but no luck yet. So if someone could shed some light on this topic, i'd be very thankfull :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:Interesting this comes up, as i had quite a heated debate about this topic with an sound guy here. He was basically saying that a high-pass or lo-cut, is basically a filter with an infinite slope. However, I remember reading somewhere, that the higher the slope of the filter the higher the resonance at the cutoff point. I've been trying to find it back, but no luck yet. So if someone could shed some light on this topic, i'd be very thankfull :)
i suppose every filter is different, i have several filters in my rig which if the resonance is set to zero, thats what you get, no resonance. ( or it appears so )
the resonance is an effect so to speak, to give the action of the filter definition, used without resonance filters generally sound dull and uninspiring and i suppose not often used that way.

personally i rarely use much resonance with a filter, so i tend to buy filters that are less aggressive and can have the resonance dialled right off.

but i could be wrong, maybe designers usually have a small amount of resonance in the 'off' position to make their filters sound more defined, - more research needed.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Do you know by any chance how steep their slope is? As i remember it, it's mainly due to the interaction of elements and the maths behind their electrical interaction.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:Do you know by any chance how steep their slope is? As i remember it, it's mainly due to the interaction of elements and the maths behind their electrical interaction.
not sure if you're asking me that mate, but ive got lots of different filters with every kind of slope.

about the maths thing, we need someone who designs filters or is well clued up on them to answer that one.
all i know is that with my 48 db filter i dont notice any resonance (audibly) when the resonance is zero, but i havent checked that with an analyser.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

sorry, the question was indeed adressed to you steevio.
Thanks for answering. Very curious about a well clued up answer if that ever happens :)

bkwsk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkwsk »

steevio wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:Do you know by any chance how steep their slope is? As i remember it, it's mainly due to the interaction of elements and the maths behind their electrical interaction.
not sure if you're asking me that mate, but ive got lots of different filters with every kind of slope.

about the maths thing, we need someone who designs filters or is well clued up on them to answer that one.
all i know is that with my 48 db filter i dont notice any resonance (audibly) when the resonance is zero, but i havent checked that with an analyser.
What I do sometimes is put two instances of Fabfilter's Pro-Q and low-cut them both at 30Hz with a 48dB per octave slope. If you then turn on the analysers and put them both on Pre+Pro mode, you can see what range of frequencies is being affected.
SafeandSound
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SafeandSound »

The tricky issue here is the speakers and room are going to dictate what you do. What that sounds like in a club might be quite far from what you hear in a project studio. At that extreme depth of sub bass it is very easy to get wrong.
Some mixes are easier than others in this respect as it depends on the content in this region of the spectrum.

I guess in short, monitoring accuracy gives you a basis for a correct action.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk