u-he diva

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: u-he diva

Post by oblioblioblio »

I saw some cheap Eventide H3000s on Ebay that needed simple fixing in the analogue domain. I'm really scared about spending big money on digital stuff though, which more often that analogue gear is impossible to repair. Some stuff is reapairable though.

Loved the reverb on your new release Steevio... added a lot to the music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:. the drums sound pretty mono to me. The panning on the moogs really does a lot for me. Thanks for the suggestions on those units. This will go a long way for me!
i always put my percussion in 'just about' mono, because in clubs you lose the groove if you're standing close to a speaker stack with my music, because i dont rely on the clap/snare 2/4 thing, all the percussion carries the groove in my music.
its meant to be heard in a club not on a home stereo.

hydro i'll send you a private link to better quality samples so you can hear the Lexicons properly
Last edited by steevio on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@ oblio,

for the kind of music you're making mark, you dont need effects, it sounds nice without it mate.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@ Hydrogen.

About competing against highly commercial competition, the Mute records story is worth looking at. They started out with nothing, making some of the most incredible music that I've heard. They were interested in competing on a commercial stage, and were supporting a young Depeche Mode, lots of the majors tried to pry the band away from the DIY label, saying that the label will not be able to support them to have a hit single. Anyways that made them work harder to make it work, and the band are still with the label.

Hard dedicated work goes much further than expensive polish!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:@ oblio,

for the kind of music you're making mark, you dont need effects, it sounds nice without it mate.
appreciate the support! :)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Haha, I love this forum... Really quiet for ages then a topic comes up and everything I want to say has already been said. -smurf

Good topic Hydrogen!

I said to you the other day about using plugin effects with your hardware. I kinda understand about latency, but at the same time, surely you can compensate for that?

Excuse the cliche but "You can't polish a turd" springs to mind. But the other way! If you start off with a really nice signal the quality of the effects don't seem to matter so much. Like it doesn't seem to take the analogue away from it, if that makes sense?

Steevio, I do really like your new release. The reverb certainly adds a lot to it. I think it was actually the first thing I noticed... I am bit of a fiend for verb tho :) Lush stuff mate, Can I get a copy direct?

Obli, I remember saying to you about reverb when I saw you play live. Still wicked stuff tho mate, I thought it was much better than your recordings but it was such a good setting for it... perfect afternoon :)

Anyway, back to the topic.

Hydrogen, don't get rid of all your stuff tho mate! Wait a year or so.. you might listen to your hardware with new ears. I know my mind changes constantly about what I want and the sort of sound im looking for..
I wanted to sell my polysix after having it for a couple of years, im so glad I didn't... Easily the most analogue instrument I have ever played... Getting buried with that mofo!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Lem, don't encourage me! I like the restriction of using no reverb actually, with my machines I can really push them till it sounds like they're alive in their own space. The panning comes from a filter which has 4 seperate outputs at 6db per octave, 12, 18 and 24. If you spot mix them you get variable filter types. If you mix them with VCAs you get morphing filter types. And if you then chuck the outputs onto a panning module, then you get crazy morphing panning filtering. Plus everything has so much space for modulation that it's nice to hold back from the effects and make the whole chain part of the sound.

But yeah I wouldn't disagree that you don't need to go crazy to get something that works, the reverb on the recent Steevio release is really amazing... I thought it would be super high end. There are loads of examples of really low budget reverbs doing great things too.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to go into the box, it does take away a certain something from discrete analogue machines. I can handle it for recording, but for anything else I find that it is quite draining. Maybe i'm just a snob.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I dont know if your music really needs verb either, it was just my first comment to you after you finished...

I reckon some swelling tape delays would sound killer on your stuff though. Maybe think of it like an extra sound source rather than just something to create space...

Steevio showed me that uLFO (correct me if im wrong) and you could turn a sine into a little notch peak. So it takes up to minutes to start but then rises really quickly. You could use something like that to send little bits of the signal to the verb, but leave the rest of your mix dry. so it doesnt take over the mix by being permenant.

You could treat that signal from that and make crash or cymbol type sounds...stuttering percussion. anything really...

It would be even better if it tracked to 1v per octave...