u-he diva

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

u-he diva

Post by hydrogen »

There has been some talk about u-he diva in one of the other threads... So I thought I’d start a new one…

I actually picked this up a while ago and only used it sparingly because I’ve been working with my hardware exclusively for the past 6 months. Until recently, I’m like fck it what if I just replaced all this stuff with Diva and that new Juno60 plug from TAL Audio.

Well, my ears tell me that Diva sounds bad ass and is so versitle. I keep comparing diva with my Jupiter6 and vermona. There is a quality difference… the hardware has a bit more character but truthfully its marginal. Diva sits in the mix exactly where I want.

Simply because I’m able to dial everything in with the software. Especially after I’ve programmed it and start mixing. I can add compression, saturation, reverb and delay without having the cost of that in my hardware chain. I can get it to sit right in the mix and it sounds great.

The hardware is really fun to play with, but I know I need to spend a couple more grand on some processors to get the stuff in the mix like I can with the software and even then I feel limited.

I know I’m missing some of the abnormalities/analogue sound from the hardware. But I’m in debate about it right now… I know AK sold a bunch of his hardware… well, I’m sure there are others here. thoughts?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: u-he diva

Post by oblioblioblio »

For me, I'd rather have a real fck off high quality piece of analogue machinary, beyond perfect sound, beyond perfect interface, something to form a very close relationship with, than anything else.

I know what you mean about processors. My brain is pretty haywire and I spend way too much time thinking about expanding my set up, but ultimately, to get good processors that match the quality of my analogue stuff, I need to spend a huge pile of money. So my approach is just to be raw. No reverb, no delay, no anything else. My sound is raw, but what is there is pulling it's weight. It goes really far and though I miss out sometimes, when I hear dreamy sumptous effects heavy music, I'd much rather keep a close eye on everything and know what every molecule is doing in the chain at every moment.

I've been looking at people like Daniel Miller of Mute records, and the DIY label K Records. Both those philosophies drew heavily from the punk vision. Daniel Miller just making tracks with a Korg 700s and a 4 track. The band Beat Happening made perfect pop music just using guitar, voice and drums.

Anyways I'll probably give a different answer on a different day but whatever. Here's a recent piece and you can hear what I'm blabbering about. Yeah it's not happy techno, sorry about that. http://soundcloud.com/diffuse-1/my-demons-im-sorry
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Why not use analog gear and software effects? That's what I do and it works great. Obviously, I'd kill for racks of eventide, a bunch of tape delays and other outboard gear, but that's never going to happen. You can always send sh!t back out from the computer if you want to filter it again or whatever.

It's almost if you're saying that you have to process hardware synths with hardware effects. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Phase Ghost wrote: It's almost if you're saying that you have to process hardware synths with hardware effects. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
Yes if you want to do it in real time with no latency. To me this is the magic of the most up to date modern technology. instant results.
oblioblioblio wrote:Anyways I'll probably give a different answer on a different day but whatever. Here's a recent piece and you can hear what I'm blabbering about. Yeah it's not happy techno, sorry about that. http://soundcloud.com/diffuse-1/my-demons-im-sorry

I really like this btw. thnx.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

hey great! (and thanks for listening) I wanted to show what's possible without efx... i personally think it can get everywhere that I want. I also had a couple of modules in repair then that would have filled up the frequency spectrum more, something which does pitched controllable noise. And the good thing is that it's really open to new possibilities and so rewarding to personal exploration.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm 100% analogue for sound creation and sequencing, but i still use digital effects and dont have a problem with it, saying that i use them very sparingly.

i've even thought of rigging up a laptop and soundcard purely for software effects.

you dont need to spend loads of wedge on effects, i'm totally happy with my project range Lexicons (MX500 and MX100)
my latest release has a fair amount of reverb on it, which is unusual for me, but i think the quality of the reverb is high enough not to detract from the analogue sounds. the sound on this link is obviously compressed for the web, and there is weird aliasing going on with the high end, but you can hear the effects ok.
http://www.decks.de/t/steevio-modular_t ... l_2/c0e-ef

(not trying to sell you the record btw, its the only digital version out there, as the release is vinyl only, so no good quality audio allowed.)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:hey great! (and thanks for listening) I wanted to show what's possible without efx... i personally think it can get everywhere that I want. I also had a couple of modules in repair then that would have filled up the frequency spectrum more, something which does pitched controllable noise. And the good thing is that it's really open to new possibilities and so rewarding to personal exploration.
The best part was the panning... BUT you could have some more spacial depth with reverb and delay. ;) Another thing you don't have to worry about is getting super peak values because this is ambient. You can focus on pure aesthetic which is nice. I like the punk attitude, but as an underdog in this industry I'm in the same ring as deadmau5 or some of these other guys and have a studio packed with modules, manley passives, Tubetechs, UA-LA2As, eventide 3000's, lexicon verbs, etc. My favorite tracks are the ones that hit that balance between sound qualities, loudness and perfect dynamics.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:i'm 100% analogue for sound creation and sequencing, but i still use digital effects and dont have a problem with it, saying that i use them very sparingly.

i've even thought of rigging up a laptop and soundcard purely for software effects.

you dont need to spend loads of wedge on effects, i'm totally happy with my project range Lexicons (MX500 and MX100)
my latest release has a fair amount of reverb on it, which is unusual for me, but i think the quality of the reverb is high enough not to detract from the analogue sounds. the sound on this link is obviously compressed for the web, and there is weird aliasing going on with the high end, but you can hear the effects ok.
http://www.decks.de/t/steevio-modular_t ... l_2/c0e-ef

(not trying to sell you the record btw, its the only digital version out there, as the release is vinyl only, so no good quality audio allowed.)
The release sounds pretty bomb i can hear the space... honestly i would like more here... the drums sound pretty mono to me. The panning on the moogs really does a lot for me. Thanks for the suggestions on those units. This will go a long way for me!