Using vibrato to thicken bass

- ask away
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Using vibrato to thicken bass

Post by Dektro »

Did you ever use a vibrato effect to make your bass sound fatter? Do you think its a good idea? I have made a simple example in which I find the bass to be much fatter with the vibrato effect on it.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/47573199/file.html

The first 4 measures are without, next 4 with then 2 without (1 and 2 octaves higher) and finaly 2 with vibrato (1 and 2 octaves higher).

Does the bass sound better to you with or without vibrato?
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Using vibrato to thicken bass

Post by Ingemar »

Hey man, havent been able to listen to your sample, but the idea itself doesnt sound ridicolous. With the risk of being a wee bit socratic; dont you know the answer to this one yourseöf aöready? Just trust yourseöf in questions like these, e.g. what sounds the best.

Making music is fun. Good luck bro.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Vibrato bass is rather big in a style of music called dubstep. They sometimes use an LFO to modulate pitch, although filter cutoff is used for the most of the time.
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

Ingemar wrote:Just trust yourseöf in questions like these, e.g. what sounds the best.
Yeah, maybe I should, but I don't really trust my monitors. It might sound very muddy on other systems, because with the vibrato spreads out the frequencies of the bass.
tone-def wrote:Vibrato bass is rather big in a style of music called dubstep. They sometimes use an LFO to modulate pitch, although filter cutoff is used for the most of the time.

I know that, but the vibrato I'm talking about isn't really similar. Have a listen at the example, it's a much quicker modulation, and it doesn't sound like a dupstep bass in any way. Also, this bass is a pure sine bass.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I had a similar issue recently. I've been making my lowest frequencies using 2 sine wave oscillators put through a ring mod. I thought that it might sound really muddy and without any power, as normally for sub bass people recommend a single sine. Also with a ring mod you get side bands and other things that could clutter the low end up. Anyways I went with it because it sounded so good and when I took my set up out onto a loud sound system it sounded absolutely fantastic. Really clear, full and deep.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I don't imagine it would make the bass sound 'thicker', depends how it's done I guess. I like adding a bit of vibrato/pitch mod as well as pitch bend to add a feel to certain notes, esp. when writing House type stuff but can't say I have come into thinking it might add more 'thickness' or anything.

If you modulate the pitch at a pretty fast LFO rate on a single low sine wave, I doubt you could actually make it out anyway, at least to the point of it being actually noticeable. I can definitely hear vibrato on other bass patches, and I think it works better when applied to a higher oscillator in say a 2 oscillator bass patch but it depends on how exactly you mean it to be applied because there's quite a lot of possibilities that I am thinking of that may not apply here.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

both examples sound awesome. each with their own effect. set it on fire.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest