is anyone using MASCHINE ?

- ask away
basecold
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

is anyone using MASCHINE ?

Post by basecold »

I wonder who produces minimal tech on Native Instruments MASCHINE.
It seems like an interesting piece of kit, but I have a hard time not using my TR909 and JUNO106 hardware...
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: is anyone using MASCHINE ?

Post by Maiyal »

I'm using Maschine, bought one about 9 months ago. I'm really interested in learning to build some sort of live work as I've mainly used it for jamming and practising live drumming. I started out just using it for sequencing stuff, but I'm searching for that golden groove which comes with live drumming. I enjoy it, I can spend hours just tapping those pads and twisting those knobs. I don't really have any experience with other similar equipment, so I can't compare.

I'm looking forward to 1.8 and getting massive as a part of the update. Have you seen the new Maschine with the different coloured lights? Seems a bit pointless to me, I personally prefer just having orange lights. If you want to spend less on (pretty much) the same thing, I'd buy the old Maschine for much cheaper, since you get the same software updates.

DO:

Jeremy Ellis on the Micro

Jeremy Ellis on Maschine

This is ridiculous.

DO NOT:

Hope this is helpful.

Edit:
Genre-wise, I find it really good for techno and house stuff. I've seen a bunch of people have a Maschine on stage with the rest of their setup, but it's basically untouched. I wonder why that is.
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

i bought it with high hopes but it really didn't suit me at all so now its on ebay. The pads are no where near as sensitive as i would have liked, plus I thought you could change samples in real time as the music was playing.. well you can but it turns off all effects while you do so, so it doesn't really sound too inspiring while you're flicking between sounds. Also I expected more integration with ableton, i thought you would able to be changing the arrangements within ableton with the pads. Again no, it just sits in a channel on its own. Meaning ableton effects can only be used on the master out of the maschine.

I get the feeling its good for breaks, hiphop or maybe things with a life drum feel but its not great for sound structure etc which means it aint for me!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think the new MPC looks more interesting. i got a drum sampler (Reason) so not much need for maschine.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

If you're a DAW only person and are looking for something to liven up your music a bit, then the Maschine is a great little box to get into.
In my opinion those who criticize it were looking expecting it do magic to their music but were disappointed when it didn't produce instant results.
Yes, of course it has some drawbacks but what doesn't?
It's like any other instrument in that if you learn how to use it and persist with it then it will give you something back.
All this, 'oh it's good for hip hop but not techno' is bull.
Wizz15
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Wizz15 »

soapz wrote:i bought it with high hopes but it really didn't suit me at all so now its on ebay. The pads are no where near as sensitive as i would have liked, plus I thought you could change samples in real time as the music was playing.. well you can but it turns off all effects while you do so, so it doesn't really sound too inspiring while you're flicking between sounds. Also I expected more integration with ableton, i thought you would able to be changing the arrangements within ableton with the pads. Again no, it just sits in a channel on its own. Meaning ableton effects can only be used on the master out of the maschine.

I get the feeling its good for breaks, hiphop or maybe things with a life drum feel but its not great for sound structure etc which means it aint for me!
Shame you sold it, because I get the feeling you haven't really gotten into it. You can control the arrangement in Ableton with the pads, and I also use different ableton effects on different sounds from Maschine. That the VSTi sits in it's own ableton channel does not mean it cannot control the stuff around it.

I can also select different outputs for different samples/sounds or whole groups, you are definately not limited to just the master out. How it's only meant for hiphop/live drum stuff goes beyond me, it's just another midi controller, I don't see how that would mean it's limited to just one genre of music.

I agree on the sample switching though, that's a tad annoying (but only live).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

not sure if this is any help, but the three producers i know who bought one all sold them on.

my mate bought one of these and totally swears by it;

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/detail.php?cate_id=34
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

steevio wrote:not sure if this is any help, but the three producers i know who bought one all sold them on.
same here....all experienced producers i know,sold them after trying...overhyped NI stuff like almost everything from this company imo (except FM8 and Reaktor)