Techno kick

- ask away
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Techno kick

Post by loulou »

How do i make a kick like the one Juergens did here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjszdD32Oc

cheers
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Techno kick

Post by Opuswerk »

You can do those quite easily.

Best is to combine 2 sounds for such kicks, as software synth enveloppes are usually not fast enough to make such clicky kicks. Especially in this track, it's very easy to analyze what was done. You simply have to open the waveform and use a spectrum analyser to see what's going on around the click and the kick
As a rough guideline here's what i would do to get such a kick
First find a suitable click. You can record one, resample the crackles of the vinyl distortion plugin in ableton, anything clicky and short will do. High-pass it to taste.
Second build a short thumpy kick using whatever synth of your choice, and low-pass it. A good tutorial to the basics of kick synthesis can be found here:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/AyAxN0kuM70[/youtube]
(it's not the exact one i was looking for, but you'll get the grip). Else, there's a few really good soft synths that can produce good and usable thumpy kicks such as Drumatic, Bass-izm and others. Just search the forum here, you'll find plenty...
Once you're happy with the thump and click you need to combine them and gel them. Be careful not to have the attack of the kick eat the click you built, as that's what suppose to come out for the high end of the kick. Easiest way to gel them, is to apply some compression, or to resample and manipulate the audio files so the click plays in place of your synthtised kick's click. You can also apply some tape saturation to get a bit more grit out of the kick.

I'm slowly starting to slow down because of digesting an excellent meal, so i'll leave it at that. If you have more questions, i'd recommend searching the forum for the various kick drum threads, they should get you were you want to go.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

the most basic approach is compression and equing and different sounds from where you begin.

Try also the method in kind of the 808 Kick. Use a Sine Wave or anything else as a Waveform and proceed it to the a kick. Some tutorials are out there.

Check the Software Drumsynth.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Fire up your favorite synth and load up a one oscillator sine wave. Set the note to whatever you want. Set one envelope to the pitch and one to the volume. The envelope on the pitch should be quick to give you the initial snappy attack and the volume envelope should be whatever length you want the kick.

A super easy way to get a click at the beginning of the kick is record the patch from above and chop of a little piece of the wave at the beginning.

To take this a step further, do the same thing as above with a noise source instead of a sine and then layer it over the sine kick.

Eq / distort / whatever to taste.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

great advices in this thread... however, i find that some synths are way more capable of creating a nice kick then others. and i don't mean analog vs. digital persé but also digital vs. digital. kicks out of the sylenth sound way different then one in native instrument's absynth.

that said, processing with subtle fx might be the most difficult and important part of the process.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I agree. The envelope's are the most crucial part to this equation. When I was using all software (and on a pc), I got some pretty good kicks out of Sound Forge generating a sine and forming the kick with the pitch bend envelope. Then, I would fade it out.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i just got this

Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

tone-def wrote:i just got this
yeah cool unit... how's the low end on it? got a vermona drm1 mk3 here, but i don't use the kick that often (for dance floor targeted tracks that is). when i monitor it on my spectrum analyzer, there seems to bee a massive amount of stuff going on below 30hz, even when the fundamental of the kick is like 60hz or so. it looks like the pitch bend control is keen on introducing low energy in the kick. notice this on the other channels as well. pretty useless for dance music as it eats up a crazy amount of headroom. even my tr606 sounds punchier (when it's in a mix, not on itself). but i like to use the kick channel as a layer for a sub kick or bassline...