kassem mosse live

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: kassem mosse live

Post by hydrogen »

Will be skipping demf and coming to this next year. I want to hang with eveyone!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yo!!!!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:yo!!!!
lol... wrong thread! :D got a little bit wasted at work today. but it is true, i will be at the next one if steevio allows me entry.

hahah... I'll comment on this thread for real since i've been thinking about it a bit... I don't see kassem's music working at smartbar specifically... its more like 6pm(sundown) or 7am(sunrise) music... So i can imagine how this is not making much sense... So you got a different different style of music playing at peak time.. doesn't make much sense does it? Where I'm from there is a type of music called Maharishi Ghandarva veda. which is essentially a brand of classical indian music... but they made tapes specifically to be played at certain times of day/night. Its genius really especially when put into perspective with a lifeline at a party which spans from morning to morning.

Also I find at slower tempos... you can't throw much computer style swing on there or it will be really estranged. the only swing that works for me at tempos 110 and below is natural playing swing or even just plain straight up.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hey hydrogen of course you can come bro,

sorry for continuing OT,

real live performance can be unpredictable, but thats what i love about it.
personally i dont consider something truly live unless a good proportion of whats happening is happening in real time.

ive seen guys who do little more than press play on a fully arranged set and tweak the odd knob, and then ive seen people totally jam out on analogue gear with no pre-arranged sequences and no presets. the latter is the ultimate live performance for me, and is what i try to acheive in my live sets, but it can be a scary ride and unless you're very well practiced and can go in directions you dont want and are hard to recover from. practice is the key, and lots of it.

i witnessed an awesome live set on sunday with Magic Mountain High, which is Move D and Juju and Jordash, and is totally 100% live realtime analogue jamming, including playing keyboards in the way they were designed. These guys are true musicians with years of experience, and its that which gives them the edge as live performers. they know just when to lift it or take it down, they just go with the flow.

after Freerotation, they all came back to my place with Soulphiction and we recorded 5 or 6 hours of live jams with me on my modular, and it was so easy to do. Nothing was planned, the only thing we decided was which root note we would start with so that my modular was in tune with everyone else. We didnt discuss what we were going to do, it was just 5 guys and a load of analogue gear playing whatever came into their heads at that moment, The results are really cool and some of it will be released later this year, (there's probably at least 4 or 5 x 12"s in there, not sure yet whats going to happen)
when i think back to the hours/days/weeks/months it used to take me arranging music in a computer to only get a tiny percentage of that material, i get the feeling i just wasted 10 years of my life.

live jamming is where its at. its the future of techno imho. it was the most fun ive ever had as a musician.

sorry for OT
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
after Freerotation, they all came back to my place with Soulphiction and we recorded 5 or 6 hours of live jams with me on my modular, and it was so easy to do. Nothing was planned, the only thing we decided was which root note we would start with so that my modular was in tune with everyone else. We didnt discuss what we were going to do, it was just 5 guys and a load of analogue gear playing whatever came into their heads at that moment, The results are really cool and some of it will be released later this year, (there's probably at least 4 or 5 x 12"s in there, not sure yet whats going to happen)
That sounds awesome, I'd be really excited about hearing some of that, keep me posted.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

simonb wrote:The 1-hour live set he did in Boilerroom a while ago was really good, I'd happily dance to that. Maybe you caught him on an off day?

I'm gonna be seeing him twice this year so I'll report back...
The Boiler Room set is totally off the hook!!! I just keep on listening again and again.
Going to see him soon also so hopes up :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Robot Criminal wrote:The Boiler Room set is totally off the hook!!! I just keep on listening again and again.
Going to see him soon also so hopes up :)
The Boiler Room set was the first time I heard Kassem. It is a quality set.

But at freero his set was very different. A lot more raw and percussive I would say, but others might think different. I have heard another set of his where it was very big sounding with lots of reverb and effects.
It was still amazing, and probably better than the BR set. But I might just say that because my head was about 6" away from the rig!

Also the gear he was using at Freerotation was different. I can't fully remember what he was using, bar an MPC1000. I'm not actually sure if he even had a laptop there?

Very cool stuff tho. Wouldn't think twice about seeing him again.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...