kassem mosse live

- ask away
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

kassem mosse live

Post by NoAffiliation »

who has seen him? what's the reaction?

i like his records but he played here at smartbar a few weeks ago and it was literally the worst set i've seen in chicago in years. when i go out i want to party. absolutely impossible to dance to and it sounded like someone at guitar center playing around with old drum machines. no transitions, no memorable melodies or basslines and NO SWING, it was sooo straight i wanted to die.

im not talking sh!t i just want to know if maybe the sound here was off. kassem was on the same list as guy gerber as a top live act, i just saw gerber yesterday absolutely blow the sh!t up at a beach party. how could those two even be compared? the sheer music and sonics of gerber were superior
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: kassem mosse live

Post by Barfunkel »

That's the problem with many electronic artists, particularly if they make their music by moving blocks of stuff with mouse instead of jamming. It's really hard to put on a good show, especially if you're doing it alone.

I felt the same way about Move D when I saw him. Adore his productions, the live show was the most boring ever.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

speaking from experience. if you're doing a proper live set with no presets and places to fall back on. it's VERY hard work. There's so much stuff that can go wrong and it's really hard to get in the right headspace... so if you've been travelling, or you have technical problems, or someone hassling you or whatever. And sometimes you can just be sh!t. It's just the way it goes. Maybe on a different day you'd get blown away.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

oblioblioblio wrote:speaking from experience. if you're doing a proper live set with no presets and places to fall back on. it's VERY hard work. There's so much stuff that can go wrong and it's really hard to get in the right headspace... so if you've been travelling, or you have technical problems, or someone hassling you or whatever. And sometimes you can just be sh!t. It's just the way it goes. Maybe on a different day you'd get blown away.
^^^
agree.
playing liveacts with prepared parts, or even finished clips or scenes in ableton, is safe and results in constant quality
but the performance itself consinst in taking risk, i think it is the most important part of a liveset, and what makes it unique. it is also the reason why people should come.
don't know if this applies in this specific case
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

tbh I think doing proper live pa thats all improv is really an awesome way to approach sets. I think its completely manageable if you setup a workflow thats conducive to improvisation.

that being said, creating a proper workflow or setup is what takes a long time. I have been doing live pa for years now and the more and more I do it, the less and less there is any preparation. At first I had clips, mixed with live sequencing, now its all played in live, looped live, sequenced live etc etc.

It actually sounds great, and as for no swing, get good at programming on the fly and create your own swing. Having played in multiple jazz bands helps this though. I recommend playing in a band to get a feel of whats it like to improv from scratch (or at most a chart).
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

The 1-hour live set he did in Boilerroom a while ago was really good, I'd happily dance to that. Maybe you caught him on an off day?

I'm gonna be seeing him twice this year so I'll report back...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kassem mosse played an awesome live set at Freerotation this weekend gone, he was totally on it for me.

never a dull moment, and danced through most of his set.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Have to agree with Steevio,

Sometimes I expect too much from the artist im most looking forward to and whoever is supporting, i enjoy a lot more. no expectations i guess... (does anyone else find this?)
But Kassem smashed it! Really raw and loose.. and like steeviio said, never a dull moment. I was shouting over his setup, "one more - you have no choice!" to which him, and the following Dj, shrugged and he banged out for another 10 mins!
I felt like bit of a tool afterwards for being a little bit yobbish. But loads of people came and thanked me saying "it was the right thing to do!"
I was a little too high spirited methinks. I just got carrried away!

I thought it couldnt get any better, but it did. every minute seemed to peak again and again.

Calling freero a festival seems to underplay how good it all was. Next year is too long to wait! Although im not sure steevio and suze would agree!