Legowelt's view on modular.

- ask away
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by ray parry »

his more recent work is a bit more focused i think. im not into it when he noodles around too much, but the synth work is always nice to listen too.
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

I bet it doesn't take 5 years before he has a modular. Unless he can really hold his guns (grudge) and keep off just to do that.

He is going to get bored and with a modular + his cashflow boring shouldn't exist.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's almost pointless having these discussions.

one thing is that the idea of $700 module containing $20 worth of parts is pure lies. Torque, please get your facts straight before spouting this rubbish.

I've built my own modules and I know exactly what components are used in every module that I own, the cost of making the faceplates, the PCB etc etc. You'd be surprised that some of these guys really aren't turning much profit at all. And all from Radioshack, well good luck with that. Every module I own uses a lot of parts that are extremely hard to source, certainly not from one vendor, and some parts aren't even being sold anymore.

If you're smart you can do it very cheaply. DIY, second hand market. The lifetime of a modular system is probably about 10 or 15 times more than most virtual analogues using SMT boards that probably can't be reworked and digital chips that are certain to become obsolete.

But I mean, fck. It's just ridiculous trying to justify this to people who already want to have an opinion that it's expensive indulgence. Youre just not going to win when someone already has an agenda. Those who know know.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

considering that a professional-grade bassoon runs about $35K it's not really an indulgence. I have an uncle who spent about $1million on recording gear when digital was first coming out in the 80s - all mostly obsolete now and now he uses a computer mainly but who is to say it's "indulgence" if you are really using the gear and making records
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

Nice uncle to visit hope he hasn't sold all that gear
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mehta wrote:considering that a professional-grade bassoon runs about $35K it's not really an indulgence. I have an uncle who spent about $1million on recording gear when digital was first coming out in the 80s - all mostly obsolete now and now he uses a computer mainly but who is to say it's "indulgence" if you are really using the gear and making records
exactly.

when i was a guitarist, i spent way more than i have on my modular, i had two (i had to have a spare when touring) vintage Fenders, two Marshall stacks, a box full of effects pedals, flight cases etc.

ok i could have gotten away with a cheap foreign Squire copy (guitar), and got the drummer to do a boring drum solo everytime i broke a string, but if you're a serious musician the difference in tone, feel, playability is so obvious. you have to fall in love with your instrument. almost every guitarist ive ever known has a much loved instrument that they would never sell.

many quality professional musical instruments are expensive items especially if you're serious. why wouldnt you want the best if its what you do ? infact it goes way beyond music, professional anything costs money.

all this talk of rich kids indulgence makes me sick, the problem as far as i can see, is that our music is now devalued by the advances in technology, so that you can actually make the music for nothing if you pirate some software. you can't pirate a professional grade bassoon unless you steal it. why should someone who is serious about what they do, and wants the best tools for the way he makes music be labelled an indulgent, rich, fetishist ?

infact for me its the other way round, its like wow ! i can have a modular synth at a just affordable price when i could only dream of that 20 years ago....

please dont get me wrong i'm not saying you have to spend loads of dosh on gear to make good music, not at all, but you shouldnt be labelled as some sort of indulgent fetishist for choosing a particular path in music which requires spending money on an instrument. how much is a mac book pro, top quality soundcard, and legit software going to cost you ?

i just cant shut up can i ?

sorry guys:)
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

ekwipt wrote:Nice uncle to visit hope he hasn't sold all that gear
He literally gave away all of his analog stuff in the early 80s including an original moog modular :oops:

edit: he does still have racks and racks of high-end digital stuff integrated into a PC setup but it's basically set up to record pop tracks
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

you can have a good virtual modular system like the NORD G2...it's affordable to everyone...don't have to spend so much money unless u are an analog fetishist...

i know this guy here personally... he's one of germany's most respected DnB artist worlwide and i think he's a genius which shows,that it's the person,not the machine...he is doing a lot of his tracks only with the NORD G2 (and a sequencer only for arranging)...

http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-current-value/