Legowelt's view on modular.

- ask away
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by 5meohd »

Mono-xID wrote:you can have a good virtual modular system like the NORD G2...it's affordable to everyone...don't have to spend so much money unless u are an analog fetishist...

i know this guy here personally... he's one of germany's most respected DnB artist worlwide and i think he's a genius which shows,that it's the person,not the machine...he is doing a lot of his tracks only with the NORD G2 (and a sequencer only for arranging)...

http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-current-value/

you said it right man: HE is a fu*king genius, the dude is a digital wizard and makes some of the coldest and brutal drum and bass I've ever heard.. top darkside producer ever (in my mind).

On the other hand (pulled from Madrona Lab's Aalto manual):

7. PATCHER
The Patcher is the dark central strip in the plug-in window, surrounded on all sides by the Modules. e Patcher lets you connect signals from the outputs of modules to the inputs of modules. It is notable that multiple inputs can be fed from a single output, or multiple outputs to a single input. We think this is way more powerful and easy to use than a ton of menus.

and Steevio, countless others, and I agree.. patching with cables is WAY more POWERFUL and EASY to use.

powerful and easy a great adjectives when describing musical instruments if you ask me.

also.. isn't a G2 a couple grand now days? and I've heard from a few heady producers that the knob/control interface is a bit unusable.. still want one though.. or a Kyma.

lol, fun argument here!
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

5meohd wrote:the dude is a digital wizard and makes some of the coldest and brutal drum and bass I've ever heard.. top darkside producer ever (in my mind).
funny thing is that he's one of the nicest people i've met.when i heard his stuff first,i thought he must be a maniac or something :) ...his partner in crime DEAN RODELL is one of my best mates since he lives in berlin...i had the opportunity to watch them both at work for their MACHINE CODE project...this was the point for me where i clearly recognized that there are REALLY NO RULES and it's mostly the talent that seperates the good producers from the game-rulers
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

no doubt there's been some great music made on the G2, but its not in the same league as a real modular synth i'm afraid.
there's just no comparison really. honestly ive tried both. and i'm a massive Nord fan.

when you compare virtual analogue and analogue side by side there's no contest in sound quality, and the G2 is processor hungry, no such thing with an analogue modular.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

my suggestion on the G2 was not sound related...more related to "work with modules"...i have to patch modules whether with real cables or virtual ones...only because for the topic:it was about workflow's on modular systems not the "digital sound vs. analog sound" debate

edit:i love you all.....i'm drunk -urk
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

:lol: a silly american returns some love to the drunk ?german?

maybe I'll have to visit you and we can sneak back round.. I'm trying to visit some relatives in Denmark next summer!!!

cheers -twisted
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

aaahhhh....headache....i think spain won the eurocup again :-sta ...

@5meohd:yeah man pop round here he he....
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

my buddy built a modular, the sounds are definitely cool out of it. i would build a small one

however, saying legowelt can't use a synth is just retarded. the guy is a fucking awesome producer and far from the paint by numbers dance music that's out there, he's a real artist
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

workflow is key, so i don't blame him for his opinion. if i find myself getting stuck (while recording/producing) i move on. this happens with my equipment alot, if i can't solve a problem i start taking gear out of the flow until i have something simple enough that i can keep recording.