Legowelt's view on modular.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by eggnchips »

Of course I'm not condoning what he's saying, I am merely passing on what I read in his recent interview with RA.

'Have you ever dabbled in modular synthesis?

Absolutely not. For me it's the most boring thing. I have the MS-20 analogue sequencer and the MS-10, but modular synths don't fit in my work flow. They're also really expensive. A guy would have a $5000 modular system and the only sound he makes with it is [makes raspberry noise] sound. Most of the time they're also not polyphonic. I think modular synths are more like a hobby for synthesiser dabblers, you know. I'd rather want to have a good workstation ROMpler, like the Korg Microstation here [points] because you can really use that to make tracks and you can make much more interesting sounds with it also I think. Of course you can buy amazing modules and make them sound really weird but it also doesn't work quickly enough for me because you have to patch the cables and there's no memory.'

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1576

What do you think chaps?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by oblioblioblio »

being closed minded is usually a pretty safe bet
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

typical view of someone who doesn't understand synthesizers. give me a ROMpler because i can't make my own sounds!
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

as he said, they dont fit in his workflow. no biggie.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

basically the view of someone who doesnt understand modular synthesis and has never tried it.

a totally irrelevant and worthless comment.
why not just keep your mouth shut if you dont have the knowledge ?

'Have you ever dabbled in modular synthesis?'

'No'

edit; and just to add from a raspberry noise dabbler, patch cords are magnitudes of times faster than scrolling through menus once you know what you're doing, and are one of the most loved aspects amongst modular users,
and memories are the last thing you want on a modular synth, you've got the universe's most complex memory system inside your skull, i can reconfigure a patch in seconds, its all just practice and experience.

you dont always want polyphony either when you're making techno, somtimes polyphony actually holds you back because it locks you into that mindset, and if you have more than one VCO you've got the potential for polyphony anyway.

and as far the cost goes, would you say to a concert pianist 'why did you spend £65,000 on that Steinway when you could have gotten a nice little yamaha electric piano that sounds exactly the same AND ITS GOT MEMORY !!!!'

rant over :)
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

he wants polyphony though. if you listen to his tracks you will see why.

he may have a slightly outdated view, but he still makes amazing music so whatever works for him is fine.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

(*)
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

This guy has obviously never used a modular or he wouldn't make such a ridiculous statement like "For me it's the most boring thing". Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. His just happens to be the wrong opinion in this instance.