Legowelt's view on modular.

- ask away
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by Dal-Tech »

eggnchips wrote: What do you think chaps?
I've heard some cool music composed on expensive modulars like Buchla. Way better than some phony retro music by a 313 suck up. Also I never understood what was so appealing about Legowelt. He seems to be ontop of whatever retro sound is popular at the moment. The guy is also a twerp.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxujV5h4UAM

This from a Buchla clone sounds pretty cool yet only a few hits on YouTube.
I've come to the conclusion that EDM popularity has ruined electronic music. It's about how cool your name and band is and the normals that will follow versus quality electronic music.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Dal-Tech wrote:
I've heard some cool music composed on expensive modulars like Buchla. Way better than some phony retro music by a 313 suck up. Also I never understood what was so appealing about Legowelt. He seems to be ontop of whatever retro sound is popular at the moment. The guy is also a twerp.
Haha. You can call him a twerp and think his music is bad, but the guy's not faking it. He's been on a personal trip for his entire career. And do you really think his last record is "ontop of whatever retro sound" that's popular right now?
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

mehta wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:
Haha. You can call him a twerp and think his music is bad, but the guy's not faking it. He's been on a personal trip for his entire career. And do you really think his last record is "ontop of whatever retro sound" that's popular right now?
To make the type of music Legowelt makes carefully study the tired old Detroit-Chicago-NY music from 20 years. Load vintage samples into software of choice. Load a soft synth that sounds "retro."

You don't need a modular nor expensive vintage XOX boxes, Junos. etc. Legowelt's music is fairly simple retro imitation and can be made with any of the current software on the market. The key to sounding retro is using retro sounds. No one cares what gear you use or how it was produced. A catchy name like "Legowelt" also goes a long way in the shallow dance scene (no offense).
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Dal-Tech wrote: To make the type of music Legowelt makes carefully study the tired old Detroit-Chicago-NY music from 20 years. Load vintage samples into software of choice. Load a soft synth that sounds "retro."

You don't need a modular nor expensive vintage XOX boxes, Junos. etc. Legowelt's music is fairly simple retro imitation and can be made with any of the current software on the market. The key to sounding retro is using retro sounds. No one cares what gear you use or how it was produced. A catchy name like "Legowelt" also goes a long way in the shallow dance scene (no offense).
To be honest, I can't even tell if you are being serious at this point, but I'll give it a shot ...

What exactly do you mean by "the tired Detroit-Chicago-NY music" - are there some seminal tracks that define this sound for you?

Even a cursory overview of Legowelt's work shows a more obvious connection to an electro/italo/techno lineage. Listen to this tune of his from 1998 and tell me again that he is part of the current retro-house bandwagon:

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Dunno why people diss other artists in music. It's all subjective anyway, don't like something or someone? Just move on man! The gear things silly really, who honestly cares what someone says about a bit of gear you might be using? I remember when I bought a Waldorf Pulse and a few people I knew were telling me not to get it and saying it was this and that, it had no character etc etc....I just thought, go away and shut the fuk up man, are you making my music or me?

I really couldn't care less what someone else uses, what they think of what I use, what they listen to, what they think about what I listen to or any of that sh!t, if I like the sound of something, I'll use it, if I like a certain track, I'll listen to it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the be all and end all.

People are too impressionable, you should have the confidence in your own gear and own tastes and stick a firm two fingers up to anyone who tells you otherwise co's to be honest, it's all about yourself.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote:Dunno why people diss other artists in music. It's all subjective anyway, don't like something or someone? Just move on man!
<3 <3 <3 thanks for this.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

mehta wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote: To make the type of music Legowelt makes carefully study the tired old Detroit-Chicago-NY music from 20 years. Load vintage samples into software of choice. Load a soft synth that sounds "retro."

To be honest, I can't even tell if you are being serious at this point, but I'll give it a shot ...

What exactly do you mean by "the tired Detroit-Chicago-NY music" - are there some seminal tracks that define this sound for you?

Even a cursory overview of Legowelt's work shows a more obvious connection to an electro/italo/techno lineage. Listen to this tune of his from 1998 and tell me again that he is part of the current retro-house bandwagon:

I could only get to the 1:00 mark before pressing stop. Electro really had a resurgence of interest during the mid 1990s. Artist like Legowelt made their mark post 2000 when the whole 1980s thing become a cute and hip thing to do. Programing Italo disco basslines is a pretty easy thing to do. It's just up and down notes on a mono synth. The electro break beat in the YouTube clip above is pretty conventional and easy to program.

When it comes to Dutch techno I liked the early 90s rave stuff that was a little more realized than dry retro tracks and the DJAX label released fun stuff. I was never a huge fan of the Bunker label or Hauge sound. I guess it's just a matter of taste.