Sidechaining

- ask away
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Sidechaining

Post by SKIFF »

I need some tips. everytime i finished a track im not really sure what to send to a sidechain, or what to sidechain.
Is there a basic formula for this? Like;Allways send synth to s-ch percussion?
I allways feel like its too much so i just leave it out. But then it still feels like its missing.

Any thoughts?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Sidechaining

Post by Stomper »

the formula is this:
if you dont feel it needs to be sidechained, it doesnt need to.
maybe your going too hard on the treshold when you sidechain. like any effect, it needs to be subtle. the everyday listener doesnt need to actually hear the effect.
could be that its something psychologically that makes you feel like its missing.
could be that something is missing and you just assume its sidechain.

bottom line, if its sound good its good.
experiment with different settings until you find the one that works best (which could be no sidechain at all).
for every track the settings probably will be different, so dont look at numbers (they might make you make the wrong decision), just close your eyes and listen.
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SKIFF »

Ok thanks.. Just have to experiment with it i guess
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

If you can, avoid sidechaining altogether. You will get better results by altering velocities of notes etc...
I have started using sidechaining again for my liveset. But I would avoid it as much as possible for studio productions, which if I use it at all, I use on FX buses.
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

lem wrote:If you can, avoid sidechaining altogether. You will get better results by altering velocities of notes etc...
I have started using sidechaining again for my liveset. But I would avoid it as much as possible for studio productions, which if I use it at all, I use on FX buses.
i don't agree that altering notes velocities you'll get better result and it take also a lot of time
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Well, it depends what velocity is modulating... If its just amplitude, you will get a better result as you are controlling the problem at the source. Not just trying to sort it out after.
At least this is my experience.

I agree it can take a lot of time. But nothing worth doing comes easy ;)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Alex Bizzaro wrote:
lem wrote:If you can, avoid sidechaining altogether. You will get better results by altering velocities of notes etc...
i don't agree that altering notes velocities you'll get better result and it take also a lot of time
It depends really, sidechaining can give a nice effect. A lot of recent stuff by people like Actress and Claro Intelecto uses it to good (and fairly obvious) effect. More subtle use can help give energy to a 16th note hihat pattern, even then it's still good to alter the velocities a little bit.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Granted, it can give a nice effect. But i mostly use it for things I have no real control of. Like my Groups and FX returns..
For me, velocity effecting the Hi-hats is essential!

I use sidechaining on my bass and fx for my live set. The Bass is kinda essential, because im writing patterns on the fly and don't really want to have certain notes colliding with the kicks and low perc. I want it to be free and not have to worry about what notes I am hitting.