Giving away all of my music for free.

- ask away
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Giving away all of my music for free.

Post by daveashe »

Virtually nobody in electronic music makes a living from sales of downloads.

For each person on itunes, on average only 3 tracks have been purchased..

Then there is a ton of music already out there, more and more each year.

The only way to make a living is to become really popular and then tour and play live paid gigs.

Either that, or get into the very competitive field of music for tv/film (forget it)

To become popular people must hear your music, so releasing it for free is the way forward.

Once you build a fan list, you can then do a launch or even a pre-launch and get people to buy your music, good luck trying to get anyone to pay for music!
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

Listening to Last Judge, just writing my personal thoughts up here as I think your perspective to music has loads of potential. The synths are aboslutely amazing, the voice samples are nice. To me it feels like the drums and the vocals could use a lot more effects on them. If you put more reverb and maybe a tad of phaser on the claps/hats, a little dub delay to have as a recurring and shifting element on the tracks on the steady clap. The sparse effect clap could have more reverb and changes in its texture throughout its appearances. The kick could be bit crushed to add a little texture, some reverb with high end cut off completely, then low pass filtered to 500hz or so. Then a completely new effect stem, could be a creepy and clear synth that stabs out of mist every now and then to reverbate through the track for a good 10 seconds after each stab, that would occur pretty sparsely and randomly.

Just writing stuff while listening to it, great track mate!
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

Kleig wrote:Listening to Last Judge, just writing my personal thoughts up here as I think your perspective to music has loads of potential. The synths are aboslutely amazing, the voice samples are nice. To me it feels like the drums and the vocals could use a lot more effects on them. If you put more reverb and maybe a tad of phaser on the claps/hats, a little dub delay to have as a recurring and shifting element on the tracks on the steady clap. The sparse effect clap could have more reverb and changes in its texture throughout its appearances. The kick could be bit crushed to add a little texture, some reverb with high end cut off completely, then low pass filtered to 500hz or so. Then a completely new effect stem, could be a creepy and clear synth that stabs out of mist every now and then to reverbate through the track for a good 10 seconds after each stab, that would occur pretty sparsely and randomly.

Just writing stuff while listening to it, great track mate!

hey man. ok theres something new...I'm always learning new tricks you know? How do i "crush" the kick?
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

I mean bitcrushing. It's a pretty straightforward effect which, if used subtly, usually adds the sort of sound you get by running stuff through an SP-1200 or an old Akai. There's a bunch of free ones that do the task decently. Here's one.

This song makes great use of bitcrushing on a lot of its stems:

emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

Holy sh!t dude. You just changed my music forever. I took a kick, added a low band freq bitcrusher and no i have melt your face off kicks. they sound organic as hell.

Where has this idea been all of my life? Time to make a new EP.
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

[quote="Kleig"]I mean bitcrushing. It's a pretty straightforward effect which, if used subtly, usually adds the sort of sound you get by running stuff through an SP-1200 or an old Akai. There's a bunch of free ones that do the task decently. Here's one.

SO here I used the bitcrushing technique. I used the exact same kick from Last judge....notice how much more huge it sounds....

blank_slate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by blank_slate »

Last edited by blank_slate on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

there is a way to make money in the music business......

Here's the secret to success......

You have to be really, really good. You have to turn heads. People have to be like wow what is that? when they hear your music.

It's kind of like becoming a pro athlete. You may think your good but a pro athlete would wipe the floor and make you look foolish. The music and art world is that way too.

Always follow the principle if it's good they will come. If your music is really good then they will come but if it's not then you wont make any money. Labels or distribs won't care.

It's that simple. How you deal with this reality is up to you. Lol.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !