Giving away all of my music for free.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Giving away all of my music for free.

Post by steevio »

scene is just a bad word, a way to describe our music as opposed to say heavy metal, drum and bass or whatever.

i use it in my posts only in this loose context.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

to me it just means groups of people listening to music, which there are many of in the uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:to me it just means groups of people listening to music, which there are many of in the uk
me too,

why did you say 'the scene is a load of bollox' ?
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:to me it just means groups of people listening to music, which there are many of in the uk
me too,

because what goes on inside them groups is for the most part a load of old bollox.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:
steevio wrote:
me too,

because what goes on inside them groups is for the most part a load of old bollox.
haha bro, i know what you're saying,

but come on man, its not that bad, this is the way music has always been

there's actually a lot of dedicated, talented and co-creative people who put a lot of time and energy into some of those 'scenes' you cant generalise like that.
Last edited by steevio on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

steevio wrote:
Dal-Tech wrote:
I know about politics in the UK but people often make a huge mistake thinking they have to go through others. I can see someone, even in the UK being a relative unknown and throwing a fun themed event that people would want to attened. The first party may be light but if you are really good then word will catch on like wildfire. Think outside the box, promote where others wouldn't. Target a new audience and not those types that been in the scene since 1980. Screw'm. It all depends how good you are. It's that simple. Unfortuantely, that's not a very common thing. Someone who truns heads.
i think you missunderstood my post bro, i'm not referring to types from the 1980s, i'm saying that there is a huge infrastructure of techno and house in the UK which doesnt relate to the US situation, although you guys had a huge bearing on the invention of EDM, you havent had the strong techno scene we've had in EU for 25 years.
I wasnt putting down the UK scene in any way, its a strong healthy scene, there isnt really the politics as such that you are referring to, i'm not saying its impossible to put on an event, just that it has to relate at least partially to the existing structure for it to have any chance of success. This is natural evolution, nothing wrong with it.
youre preaching to the converted with me bro, if you knew me you'd know that i'm a huge advocate of DIY, i promote where others wouldnt and totally think outside the box etc.. but i'm also a realist and know that things arent quite as simple as you suggest.
remember i am totally talking about underground music here, not the established mega clubs etc..

i fully relate to where you're coming from and partially agree with everything you are saying, but i also know the scene here very well and know what works and what doesnt. this is a very small island.
I think the only city in the US to support techno would be NYC but even then it's very much a trendy Residential Advisor type thing. The rest of the US may have a bright spot event here or there but it's bottle service, commercial appeal music. The underground mentality seems to have died with the indie record store which is kind of sad. All that being said I think if a person is unique and very talented music wise they can still make a name for themself. Money can be made once you get the ball rolling.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Dal-Tech wrote:
I think the only city in the US to support techno would be NYC but even then it's very much a trendy Residential Advisor type thing.
theres some great underground guys in NYC, we just had Joey Anderson at our festival, really nice guy. some of our guys just started a new label Until My Heart Stops and put some of Joeys tunes on the first release, and Jus Ed ( he's from Conneticut but plays NYC a lot ) is a true ambassador for underground house, he's played for us twice and is a resident at Freerotation now. Fred P ( Black Jazz Consortium ) has played for us twice now, he's a genius
these guys embody the true spirit of underground dance music.