First track i've ever ''finished'': is it mixed well?

- ask away
edium
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

First track i've ever ''finished'': is it mixed well?

Post by edium »

To keep it short: here is the link to my track, if you don't want to listen to all of it I would recommend skipping to around 2:50
http://soundcloud.com/edium/edium-cocoo ... ered-draft

the question I have is:
-Does the mix sound muddy/Is it mixed well? (i think it sounds muddy.. too bass heavy could have more clarity etc.)
-Anything else that I can improve?

I recently started spending a lot of time on producing, and haven't been active on this site. I'll make an effort to contribute to the site from here on out - thanks for the listen/feedback

-edium
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: First track i've ever ''finished'': is it mixed well?

Post by Rein »

i don't think this is the place you want to ask opinions about this kind of music... there are plenty of places on the net for trance music i guess. so better try there!
xuki
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xuki »

Sorry, I don't listen trance.
edium
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edium »

fair enough
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't listen to music like this so can't really comment on it. maybe try a forum where people actually like trance music? you're just going to get hate and abuse on a techno forum!
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Come on guys, no need to be so unhelpfull to the guy...Just cause you don't listen to this genre doesn't mean you can't tell if it's mixed right. Not like people post this stuff here everyday....At the OP, it's not really the kind of music I listen to either, but I'd say for a first song, it's not that bad...2 things that I would critisize is that it needs to be punchier and I find there isn't enough low end.
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loulou »

Come on guys. Stop being like "oh the label says trance, can't listen to it". And its just plain dumb to say you can't comment on the mix cause the genre is not the same - its 4x4 electronic music and even though the style is different its not that different from techno even though the vibe is totally different from minimal/techno/house/whatever.
edium
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edium »

thanks for the feed back - i like techno/house as well i try to produce some of that

Raddler: could you be more specific? is it my percussion that needs to be punchier? and there isn't enough low end - like the bass line right? also does the mix sound muddy to you at all? it doesnt sound very crisp to me.

edit: oh also on the note of the mix being punchier I read a thread on different forum that said streaming music on soundcloud compresses the track and kills all the transients that might be the problem to the punchiness.. I made it downloadable which solves that problem. But I do agree I listened to some other professional tracks and they do have a certain punch I lack