First track i've ever ''finished'': is it mixed well?

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: First track i've ever ''finished'': is it mixed well?

Post by Raddler »

edium wrote:thanks for the feed back - i like techno/house as well i try to produce some of that

Raddler: could you be more specific? is it my percussion that needs to be punchier? and there isn't enough low end - like the bass line right? also does the mix sound muddy to you at all? it doesnt sound very crisp to me.

edit: oh also on the note of the mix being punchier I read a thread on different forum that said streaming music on soundcloud compresses the track and kills all the transients that might be the problem to the punchiness.. I made it downloadable which solves that problem. But I do agree I listened to some other professional tracks and they do have a certain punch I lack

Like I said, for a first song it isn't bad, i like the melody actually, kinda catchy...but yeah, it definetly needs more emphasis on subbass/bass/mids. I take back what i said about the punchiness, i had a listen on my speakers, and it does have more punch than i thought.....Muddy? not terribly, but i think you could improve on it a bit.I do however find the mix sounds a bit harsh, try and smooth it out a bit, round out you're percs and synths....it might be just perseved that way however because there's a lack of bass so all the highs are emphasized...Also, i'd add some pads to it in the breakdown, keep it flowing a little more. A better kick drum is needed as well....Good luck
edium
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edium »

okay thanks - i put a lot of high shelves on my EQ maybe that contributes to the harshness. I think im gonna have to make a new kick drum/ bass synth
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

noooooooooooo traaaaance!!!!!!! :D

kick is missing presence like raddler said. Try referenciong some maceo plex. good luck!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

I also think thats a rubbish attitude to have, To my ears it sounds similar to most minimal anyways :P

I can't comment on the arrangement much (even though it sounds good to me) but the mix sounds tight and well rounded, I'd definitely bring out the main sidechained bassline a couple 2db and give it more high end/resonance, the percussion sounds right.. maybe the pads could be a bit quieter?

I listened with Beyer headphones, Hope that helps a tad.

DTD
strawMan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by strawMan »

Hi edium.
Please take my suggestions with a pinch of salt - it's been quite a few years since I listened to trance, and I'm far from a seasoned pro...
Caveats aside; I too would suggest a better kick, with a more rounded sub element. The rest of the percussion seems lost in the bass and synth line when the tune hits full flow, it may be worth experimenting with taking some high freq out of the bassline to make room. This mix as is is quite forward- there could perhaps be more going on in the background to give texture and spacial depth (an alternative synth line with a contrasting melody maybe?)

This chap writes eloquently about depth (and many other things), recommended read:

http://blog.kimlajoie.com/the-secret-to ... ing-mixes/

Best,
Andy
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

It's really not bad for a first tune, mixing-wise it's much better than my first efforts! I'd agree with others that it needs a good kick, that's the one thing it's obviously lacking.
SKIFF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SKIFF »

Hi, You should try to use a nice high pass filer on your master. It can really clear up your mix and give you some depth.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

I just found it a bit monotonous, not enough changes, no "funk" to it, not enough interesting sounds. Bland.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog