multi midi

- ask away
japanic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

multi midi

Post by japanic »

im looking to add to my axiom25 midi keyboard which is great for the price, what i need is a controller that's purely sliders and knobs.

Also i dont even know if i can use multiple midi inputs for same DAW / PC ? :oops:

I am looking to use this for live productions rather then studio
minimal...deep...progressive...webradio >>> www.japanic.us <<<
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: multi midi

Post by Maiyal »

Also relevant to my interests, I recently bought Maschine and an Akai LPK25 and have been trying to figure out some way to be able to use both simultaneously inside ableton.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

japanic wrote:im looking to add to my axiom25 midi keyboard which is great for the price, what i need is a controller that's purely sliders and knobs.

Also i dont even know if i can use multiple midi inputs for same DAW / PC ? :oops:

I am looking to use this for live productions rather then studio
novation nocturn, novation zero sl mk2 and behringer bcr2000 are the only ones that comes to my mind.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Its worth noting that when midi mapping parameters, Ableton doesn't differentiate between midi controllers.
i.e If a pot on the nocturn is using midi channel 1 cc 1, you can't use the same values on another controller for something else.

I have been spending weeks (probably months!) now, just mapping midi controllers and setting up a live set....
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i've got a Korg nanoKONTROL. cheap and does the job.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

lem wrote:Its worth noting that when midi mapping parameters, Ableton doesn't differentiate between midi controllers.
i.e If a pot on the nocturn is using midi channel 1 cc 1, you can't use the same values on another controller for something else.

I have been spending weeks (probably months!) now, just mapping midi controllers and setting up a live set....
can't you just setup your controllers on different midi channels? isn't that hard and you got yourself 'new' cc's.

to the OP : CME bitstream 3X sounds like a controller you could use
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

kdgh wrote: can't you just setup your controllers on different midi channels? isn't that hard and you got yourself 'new' cc's.
I said the same controller value, meaning the same midi channel. (I'm really not that great at explaining stuff on here)

It's just a PITA because you have to take note of what controller values are here and there.
Personally I am coming to a point where I am running out of values and I have to re-map my whole live set every week to make it more ergonomic. I am avoiding plugging the BCR into a pc to reconfigure its mappings. It wouldn't be the first time.....

I actually think that for a program geared for 'live' its midi implementation is pretty bad.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

I understand your point, but i can't see why you shouldn't use different midi channels.
Why would you like to have all the controllers on 1 midi channel? just curious..