Sad/Haunting Intervals? (Avatism/Tale of Us)

- ask away
loictambay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Sad/Haunting Intervals? (Avatism/Tale of Us)

Post by loictambay »

kdgh wrote:dorian, phrygian, melodic minor, harmonic minor. (combination of those, example : harmonic phrygian )
try those scales and you'll discover same kind of tones.

Tho it's also in the sound design of your synth like others already told you.
Next to that the timbre of certain notes. Some are filtered, some aren't etc. etc. etc.
been trying to grasp my head around more exotic scales...did some research on harmonic phyrgian and couldn't find such a mode.
are you talking about byzantine/double harmonic, major phrygian, dorian b2/#4, those sorts of scales?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

loictambay wrote:
kdgh wrote:dorian, phrygian, melodic minor, harmonic minor. (combination of those, example : harmonic phrygian )
try those scales and you'll discover same kind of tones.

Tho it's also in the sound design of your synth like others already told you.
Next to that the timbre of certain notes. Some are filtered, some aren't etc. etc. etc.
been trying to grasp my head around more exotic scales...did some research on harmonic phyrgian and couldn't find such a mode.
are you talking about byzantine/double harmonic, major phrygian, dorian b2/#4, those sorts of scales?
There isn't a harmonic phrygian scale/mode by name. There is however a 'phyrgian' mode in the harmonic minor mode but it's not called that, it's called a phrygian dominant ( think of the phygian mode of the major scale but up the minor 3rd interval to a major 3rd ) Anyway, wouldn't really suit what you're trying to achieve as it's a major triad or a dominant 7th as the diatonic first chord.

As well as the modes of the major scale, look into the modes of the harmonic minor scale. There's some pretty out there possibilities for melodic and harmonic purposes that really, if the truth be told, could keep you inspired for decades without even bothering with these so called 'exotic scales' - some of which kinda miss the point when tuned to our temperament anyway and some are the same intervals but named differently. The harmonic minor is the same as the aeolian mode but just raise the 7th scale degree to a natural. So in the case of 'C', you get C/D/Eb/F/G/Ab/B and then of course you got the modes, D to D, Eb to Eb etc etc. And like I was saying, even though the 7th is only a semitone higher, you get some very intriguing possibilities arising when you look at the modes. Like the 2nd mode of the harmonic minor, Locrian #6. First diatonic chord is a Ddim or a dim7-D/F/Ab/B, then an augmented chord on the 2nd degree, Eb/G/B etc etc. You can get some very weird sounding music out of the harmonic minor scale and its modes.

To be honest, you could just sit there and come up with your own intervals anyway, chances are it will be called something but that's not important, I don't think knowing or not knowing a particular scale/mode has any impact on what feel you can arrive at through the music. It's quite rare for someone to use all notes of a scale - at least for melodic purposes, you can often find a pentatonic scale is all you need and that could be 5 notes from anywhere, scale derived or not. A lot of melodic lines are written using the pentatonic scale from the scale/mode they're in because it's pretty idiot proof and will usually work on whatever is going on underneath.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
To be honest, you could just sit there and come up with your own intervals anyway, chances are it will be called something but that's not important, I don't think knowing or not knowing a particular scale/mode has any impact on what feel you can arrive at through the music. It's quite rare for someone to use all notes of a scale - at least for melodic purposes, you can often find a pentatonic scale is all you need and that could be 5 notes from anywhere, scale derived or not. A lot of melodic lines are written using the pentatonic scale from the scale/mode they're in because it's pretty idiot proof and will usually work on whatever is going on underneath.
great advice here.
shubelo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by shubelo »

NoAffiliation wrote:so it seems that part of what is going on are the chords being spaced out over multiple octaves instead of the same octave like a player would do by hand. it makes alot of sense. if you played a simple patch on a synth, unless it's just a sine most sounds are going to have a wide range of frequencies so spreading the chords out over a few octaves is going to sound way more full and open and clean. i can hear it in now right away in their disco gnome track, it's a minor chord with each successive note on a different octave. i guess this is why sequencers took over actually playing by hand, for electronic music at least

also, im not into swedish house mafia but they are doing the same thing only using different patches for each note of the overall chord

Hi mate, hope your well.

I have been reading over this thread a few times and researching the topic. You refereed to disco Gnome in the post I was wondering what your take on the actual sound design of the lead bassline. I've got the TAL juno plug in that I can get close but its not was nice and solid as these? any ideas on getting a fuller more useable sound? or anyone else. How did everyone else go with there sounds