tips for creating acid lines in a piano roll?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: tips for creating acid lines in a piano roll?

Post by oblioblioblio »

For me one of the important things about the 303 was the limitations, and forcing as much as you can from something... trying everything possible to get something musical out of a limited system.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: tips for creating acid lines in a piano roll?

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:most components sounds differently even when new. Capacitors, transistors... everything, they all vary a lot from component to component.

I was listening to old Plastikman Sheet One stuff yesterday, Richie sure did get that 303 to sing!

I'm not actually that interested in emulating a 303 but it left a big impact on musical history and surely there is something to plunder. Maybe attention to detail with tweaked out sequencing. Luckily I have analogue sequencers that have lots of 303 like functions.

I don't know if I would use a distortion on it... it sounds fantastic clean. Deep square with no resonance is very unique.
yes i hear this all the time about the old components but its all a bit Nerdy tbh, i've had so many 303s through my hands and 3 at once as i said earlier, and they all sounded almost exactly the same.

like you say the big square with no resonance is the ultimate 303 sound for me, the bedrock of so many top tunes, i cant stand the squelchy sounds now, (i overused them back in the day)

i always used to have one clean big square running the bass, and a distorted to fck one running the lead. they do distort very nicely, sometimes just overdriving the desk was enough, but you couldnt beat a Turbo Rat analogue distortion pedal for the grungiest sound imaginable. that got really popular in the late 1990s.