eventide

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: eventide

Post by oblioblioblio »

well i've got bills to pay and I'm kinda hoping on making something from doing music. I suck at all other jobs and I like my music more than most music that i hear.

ultimately the music and the message is the priority. good music tools can be a great help, even if they're cheap. Eventide algorithms are good tools, but they're not particularly cheap.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

oblioblioblio wrote:well i've got bills to pay
we all have bills to pay.
oblioblioblio wrote:and I'm kinda hoping on making something from doing music.
I'm kind of hoping to make something beautiful that moves my soul, and maybe some other people's soul too.
If that makes me money, fine, if not, then no worries.
I'd rather make a better track that makes no cash than make crap commercial stuff just to make sure it brings in money.
oblioblioblio wrote: I suck at all other jobs and I like my music more than most music that i hear.
I feel likewise about the job, but you obviously haven't heard enough other music yet ;)
(only joking)
and it's not exactly sucking at other jobs, it's just that they don't give me much satisfaction.
But I'd still rather do a slave job and be independent about the music I want to make than having to be dependent of commercial success only in order to pay the bills.
oblioblioblio wrote: ultimately the music and the message is the priority.
the music, yes sir !
but what message ? I mean, one of the things I love about techno and electronical music in general is that it's without fancy lyrics for most if not all of the times. Seriously, to me it's just about the groove and the music. The fact that it has very little message at all makes it only more appealing to me.
oblioblioblio wrote:good music tools can be a great help, even if they're cheap. Eventide algorithms are good tools, but they're not particularly cheap.
I completely agree !
They're all just instruments = tools to make music with.
I wouldn't have bought my eventide if I knew my kids and family couldn't spare the extra cash.
And you can do just as well without an eventide in your setup.
But if you do want to add an extra royal flavour to your setup, then an eventide stompbox is definitely the way to go ! ;)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Dal-Tech wrote:I don't know if spending a lot of dosh on hi-end gear is worth it these days for the simple fact there is little money to be made.
i cant imagine you'll get much support for a statement like that amongst 99% of musicians, and probably no-one at all on this forum.

people have allsorts of expensive hobbies which yield no money whatsoever, they do it for the love, for being alive !
Last edited by steevio on Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: ultimately the music and the message is the priority.
the music, yes sir !
but what message ? I mean, one of the things I love about techno and electronical music in general is that it's without fancy lyrics for most if not all of the times. Seriously, to me it's just about the groove and the music. The fact that it has very little message at all makes it only more appealing to me.
but has all music not got a message ? lyrics or no lyrics.

i agree my love of techno revolves around the lack of human vocals, as soon as i hear a human voice in EDM, i hear egos, i hear emotions, i cant listen to techno with vocals, it puts me off a lot of modern so called minimal music.
i want to hear the pure forms from the universe without the ego and emotions, but that doesnt mean there's no deep message in the music.

personally i go out of my way to sculpt a very deep message from the music (i'm not saying it always works though)
i consider every frequency, every harmonic, i experiment with how each sound makes me feel, i try to avoid the more obvious emotions of traditional structures like minor/ major chords / scales etc. i'm always looking for a deep message from the universe in the waves.

i know hippy BS. :D
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i agree with steevio. there's always a message.

I think with EDM the message is less obvious and maybe broader, a more universal message. But I don't think you can escape the fact that music is a form of communication and every form is a storage facility for something, especially a piece of artwork.

I think emotions are important, I think they're trying to tell us something. I think the body has a message for us too, it holds our pain, and when it's sad and out of balance it's telling us something.

Hooray for another well executed mnml tangent. :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

no but, yeah but

the eventide pedals look the shizz....
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i enjoy the tangents, i feel bad if it's someone elses thread but luckily i started this one.

yeah they really interesting devices and the Eventide sound features very heavily in the last 30 years of music, and they're now much more accessible than before. Some computer stuff has made them obsolete in some ways, like I could see lots of benefit from digging around inside Reaktor ensembles. But if you happen to want outboard and think some ultra high quality digital algortihms might help you out then...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I don't think Reaktor is the same quality. It's a fantastic program but just compare the reverbs.