USB Turntables

Post by MarkA »

can anyone recommend a good one? need to rip some stuff I can 't find digitally
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: USB Turntables

Post by Stomper »

if its just for rippin some vinyls than its only the needle you should be worry about.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I've never had any experience with a USB turntable, but if you look at their prices I think one automatically feels they gotta be very bad quality.
I mean, come on, I paid 700 euro's for each of my SL1200's.
How can a USB turntable then cost maybe 100 or 150 euro's and still be of a certain minimum quality ? :?
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

michaellpenman wrote:i find the usb turntables a little shitty the conversion through the cable seems to just sound crap

i think a good turntable/mixer/preamp is best that way you maintain the sound quality
Which have you used?
Hades wrote:I've never had any experience with a USB turntable,
thanks for your valuable input.

PS: you paid 700 euro each for 1200's? wtf? you could get 2 x1210's for that. Very little difference to justify the price difference in my experience.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

mate chill.
at least I'm honest enough to say I don't have any personal experience with any of these, and I'm trying to say why I don't trust them. They all look and feel very cheap.

Back when I paid 700 for my SL1200's, that was the going price. I looked around comparing prices as I always do when I want to buy something.
I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid.

I'm not a DJ, I'm just a vinyl-lover.
If you think that doesn't give me the right to give my opinion on turntables on a forum, then so be it.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

MarkA wrote:
PS: you paid 700 euro each for 1200's? wtf? you could get 2 x1210's for that. Very little difference to justify the price difference in my experience.
just for the record.. there is no difference except of the colour.. 1200 is silver, 1210 is black..
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

michaellpenman wrote:700?
what did you buy the first one ever made :D :lol:
I'm glad you guys find this so funny. :roll:
I bought them from Music Store in Köln.
I bought 80% of my new gear there, since their prices have always been pretty much the cheapest you could find, them and Thomann.
(plus I'm happy with their service, since I know from personal experience in the last 10 years that they do give you proper service if anything goes wrong)
I'm not even sure I paid 700, but it sure as hell wasn't 500 either.
(and I'm trying to find back the bill so I can tell you the exact price)
And I got them around the moment it was anounced they stopped making them. I guessed that influenced prices, who knows.

You can laugh all you want with that, but if I'm an idiot because I buy something from Music Store then there are thousands of idiots all over Europe.
I find a lot of prices I see people pay for all the synths that I already have in my studio ridiculous as well, but still people pay that kind of money, and I can understand why in most cases.
I paid 1700 for an andromeda just before word got out they stopped making 'em, and 3 weeks later people paid 2500 to 3000€ for one.
I paid 200 € for a JX10 where I had to do some small repairs, now it's worth 600, 700 ? I don't even know.
I paid 300 € for a mint Juno60, now they're going for 800 ? I'm not even sure.
I could go on for a while with my other synths here but it's not like I check prices of anything constantly to see what they're worth.
And this doesn't really add anything to the discussion either.

I guess I must be better at buying synths for a decent price than I am at buying SL1200's.
Like I said, I'm not a DJ, just a synth guy that happens to love vinyl.
And since they stopped making the SL1200's as far as I know, I can't really check prices anymore either.

btw, have they stopped making the 1210's as well ? Because I can't seem to find them for sale new either ?

My only point I wanted to make is that all those USB turntables look and feel so cheap I would hardly dare to put some of my records on them.
And as I thought of a few days ago when I wrote my first post : I do have some experience with a USB turntable, though be it very small.
I got myself a portable turntable a few months back, to take with me if I'm away for a weekend in my vacation appartment.
It looks and feels very cheap, and it's obvious I'm gonna use it as little as possible.

Another thing I don't get is why people can be happy with the result.
I mean, let's say you pay 150 € for a USB turntable.
You expect that thing to
1. properly play your vinyl (of course not as good as a decent turntable, but at least good enough for recording purposes)
2. properly record your tracks
3. properly convert it into digital audio.

Come on, a decent soundcard costs you around 300 € at least (my 2 small soundcard costed me 400 €, the big one 1700 €).
And part of the reason you pay so much is because you get proper AD/DA convertors.
You think a USB turntable can have decent AD/DA convertors plus a proper mechanic interior to do the job, and only cost 150 € ?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

roland wrote:
MarkA wrote:
just for the record.. there is no difference except of the colour.. 1200 is silver, 1210 is black..
yes there is, although be it very small.
the 1210's have those pitch buttons.

(and please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said , I'm NO expert in turntables)