Technics 1210 pitch problem

- ask away
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Technics 1210 pitch problem

Post by tsankip »

The pitch on one of my 1200 mk2 jumps around a little bit whilst in 0 position. The 0 light kind of switches on and off whilst this is happening. It doesn't happen all the time though and it's been a long time since I last calibrated the pitch on the decks.

Is this normal and a matter of recalibrating the 0 point and the pitch or is it a sign that the pitch itself is fucked and needs replacing? Thought I'd ask before I open up the turntable.

Cheers!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Technics 1210 pitch problem

Post by tone-def »

One of mine does something like this but only on 45rpm. I haven't had them serviced in the 9 years I've had them.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

So it only jumps on 0? The light switching on and off makes me think it's a wiring issue.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

offtopic but worth mentioning.. finally the prices for 1210s decreased again.. here in austria and germany you can easily find a pair for under 800€ .. :D
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Phase Ghost wrote:So it only jumps on 0? The light switching on and off makes me think it's a wiring issue.
What makes you think that? The light indicator is jumping around according to the pitch. For example I was ripping a record where the pitch floating was very noticeable whilst a pad sound and then I also noticed the 0 light "not being sure" whilst this was happening.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Ahhh, doh! That makes sense.

Only jumping at 0 seems weird though. I'd calibrate it and see what happens.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Yeah, I'll give it a try. I just thought I'd ask before I take the turntable apart. I bought the deck second-hand and I hope I don't have to replace the bitch (like). 8)
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

It dont sound good.
Either something is off in the pitch slider that is losing contact at the zero point (probably) OR your quartz system is bad (rare, bad wire if anything).

Is it a mk2 or mk3 with out the dip at zero (does the slider lock to zero or glide through it)?

Does it only slide around on zero or is it drifting at any position?