How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

- ask away
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: How do DJ's prefer the arrangement in house/tech tracks?

Post by hairblz »

Phase Ghost wrote: Huh? I mix vinyl and cd's pretty much the same. The cdj's give a readout of their estimated bpm, but aside from that it's the same. I'm not doing any math when mixing.
At 125bpm, 0.8% is exactly 1bpm. So you can use that to set the pitch, and also anticipate what direction you will need to nudge occasionally.

Super cool to see live maths being performed on stage, I might bring an abacus with me to my next show.
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Themis wrote:hm i only can tell you what i dont want to hear

artificial build ups with lots of effects, maybe even effects that the DJ could use himself on the mixer.
tracks under 5 minutes
tracks that end really abrupt. dj friendly tracks take slowly element for element out of the track.
dont start your track on the offbeat or anywhere else weird, no one else then the DJ himself will ever hear the first 4 beats anyway.
Lol. That's good advice.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Phase Ghost wrote:However, if you're making a tune that you intend to be mixed by dj's (which is 99% of house and techno),
Sadly it has to sound like 99% of house and techno.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

For the record I find it is easier to mix with 1200's than cd's. When you have a track almost locked in and need small adjustments, I prefer gentle touches to the platter or spindle on a turntable over the cd jog wheel.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i find myself connecting with ricardo villalobos' arrangements. i don't necessarily love his tracks (many are quite boring), but the way he balances organic improvisation and subtle/minimal changes throughout the song is hard to do. i generally record the drum parts seperately from any synth work. when i record my synth parts i run them through a filter, and record in realtime. this way i have lots of tweaking. i then take 4-8 bar loops and repeat them a few times. the rest of the song fits around these happy accidents i get by my synth->filter recordings. it allows for improvisation and experimentation, which i then chop down into cohesive song parts.

my arrangements write themselves, and i prefer my tracks at 10+ minutes, so that the different elements of the track really get a chance to breathe and shine on their own. the most conservative elements i use is a simple 4/8/16/32 bar leadin at the beginning of the track, where i successively add percussive elements. then a very small buildup (such as lots of reverb or delay on a particular sound to create some "noise"). add synth in, add another synth, drop a drum channel out, drop a synth, add some more parts, etc. when you are comfortable recording and programming, the arrangements tend to write themselves : )