Hardware bass synths

- ask away
lunarodyssey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Hardware bass synths

Post by lunarodyssey »

what about this one? - http://www.spectralaudio.ch/ ( Spectral audio neptune 2 ) maybe someone have?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

yup... you'll be happy with any of the synths listed here. :) Even if you get the little phatty you will love it. you might want more knobs, but you'll love the sound because its got the balls. It will captivate your entire mind space the moment you play a note on it at the appropriate volume... If you can make it to a synth store or something like this go try them out. You'll have a lot of fun just pressing some keys and hearing them.

The whole world changed for me once i got some of these analog synths after being 100% in the box for 15 years. I can appreciate both sounds but now in 90% of the cases when i start in the box, i compare to the analogue counterpart and the computer version i can always dial it in Perfectly(because there are so many options) but it lacks the feeling i get when i'm listening to the physical synths.

The doepfer was mentioned as a cheap alternative... while its a good synth, i'd probably stick with something more straightforward like 101, moog, or monoLancet... Also that MiniBrute that is coming out looks dope as fck. feature galore!! I just don't know how it sounds.

Again, if you can get the opportunity get hands on with it.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

hydrogen wrote: Also that MiniBrute that is coming out looks dope as fck. feature galore!! I just don't know how it sounds.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. There's mad new sh!t out.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tbh, while personally i need a knob for every parameter, some of you guys who are half in and half out of the box wouldnt necessarily need that, especially for bass. once you've set up your bass for a track its unlikely that you'll need to tweak it much during the track.
i find with my modular set-up the things i tweak the most during a track on the bass are envelope amount, sustain and release, so i could effectively get away with three knobs while the track is running.
but i need easy access to pulse width, FM amount, FM type, modulator wave type, and gate length, these are the next most important to me.

so basically ive just demolished my own argument against knobless Moogs.

but i cant excuse the lack of PW control. a square wave has no second harmonic, and a pulse width control basically gives you control over the level of the second harmonic against the first, and of course the other harmonics in sequence, its like having a bunch of sinewave oscillators which are in sync and you have control over their relative levels.

i used to exclusively make my bass out of two sinewaves, one sub and one an octave higher, and would vary the level of the second sinewave against the first to get the right blend, this is quite a common technique to create subby bass, but you can do the same thing with a pulsewave and a PW control, and LPF. plus much more, because the 3rd, 4th, and 5th harmonic are all still usually within the bass part of the spectrum.

you dont have the option with a set square wave.
but of course with the Minitaur, you have a second saw VCO, set this an octave higher and this will give you a fatter sound but not the same clean, deep, open sound of a single pulse.

just some thoughts.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

you mean additive syntheses i suppose
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kdgh wrote:you mean additive syntheses i suppose
well its not really additive synthesis, its still subtractive, but i see what you're saying.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

This guy reminds me of Luco.
ghostmartyr
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ghostmartyr »

Allow me to give a couple of suggestions.

You can use the Juno 6 / 60 / 106 for great bass sounds as well as Pads. It is essentially a Poly synth but you can stack all 6 voices and get a very big mono synth sound. Then there is the chorus, which isn't great if you are looking to press your tune to vinyl, but mix a mono signal and the stereo signal of your Juno bass and you have a bass sound like no other.

Also, the DSI Mopho (preferably the Keyboard version) is great for bass as well as leads and effects and all sorts of crazy sounds. With the Mopho you get 2 Oscillators each with their own sub octave and a tasty Curtis 4 pole Filter. The Oscillators are DCO's which means you have an Analogue oscillator which will not need tuning. This is something that happens with most of the synths mentioned, if not all. Basically the Mopho is about the same price as an SH101 and you have Midi and a lot more functionality... including 4 LFO's and Modulators... oh and a sequencer... and an arpeggiator... and so much more. Have a look for yourself. It can sound great!

Probably worth looking at the Waldorf pulse too... that is pretty tasty.

i hope this is of help.

:o)