akai ax60

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: akai ax60

Post by Hades »

mehta wrote:a few days, a few months

here's one with the ax60 doing most of the important sounds ... chords, bassline, some hats, percs, etc. there are some other drum samples and the kick isn't being generated by it (although it can do kicks quite well, especially nice murky ones)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/halyym0n09agv ... blurme.mp3
nice work.

what did you use for external FX (cause I do presume the AX60 has little or no onboard FX, right ?)
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

actually the arpeggiator, lfo, adsr, modulation etc can make interesting filter delays and other fx but it's being processed through a traynor yvm-4 which is pretty ghetto but seems to work. there is some digital delay on the signal that also goes into the reverb. but I am still sequencing everything digitally, sampling the jams and then arranging things
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

mehta wrote:actually the arpeggiator, lfo, adsr, modulation etc can make interesting filter delays and other fx but it's being processed through a traynor yvm-4 which is pretty ghetto but seems to work.
I think the AX-60 is pretty ghetto in general no ?
I mean, from what I hear people I know tell about it, it has a very rough edge to its sound.

And I like the idea of running stuff through all kinds of processors, whether or not they were made for this purpose or not.
fck, it's electronical music, you're supposed to just forget all the rules at times and just have fun. ;)
mehta wrote:but I am still sequencing everything digitally, sampling the jams and then arranging things
yes you can hear a few small timing issues here and there, things that could sit better in the groove.
nevertheless, nice work, good demonstration of what you can do with one synth (more or less) if you take the time to program it properly.

thx for the demo !
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

Hades wrote: I think the AX-60 is pretty ghetto in general no ?
The one I had seemed a little muddy but I think something was wrong with the outs. It can achieve FM although I wouldn't call it very high end sounding. It's one of the 80s synths with the Curtis filter chip.

The AX60 uses voltage-controlled analogue oscillators and filter circuitry based on the Curtis Electronics CEM 3394 integrated circuit. The same chip is also used in several Sequential Circuits synthesizers, including the Six-Trak, Max, Multi-Trak, and Split-8.

If you are into noise/ industrial you'll probably like it. Pobably more rare in Europe than the US.

When it comes to Akai synths I liked the Akai VX90 (rack) the best. All Akai synths sound a little similar in character.

A demo here on YouTube (not by me):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsgFlthKJY
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Dal-Tech wrote:
Hades wrote: I think the AX-60 is pretty ghetto in general no ?
The one I had seemed a little muddy but I think something was wrong with the outs. It can achieve FM although I wouldn't call it very high end sounding. It's one of the 80s synths with the Curtis filter chip.

The AX60 uses voltage-controlled analogue oscillators and filter circuitry based on the Curtis Electronics CEM 3394 integrated circuit. The same chip is also used in several Sequential Circuits synthesizers, including the Six-Trak, Max, Multi-Trak, and Split-8.

If you are into noise/ industrial you'll probably like it. Pobably more rare in Europe than the US.

When it comes to Akai synths I liked the Akai VX90 (rack) the best. All Akai synths sound a little similar in character.

A demo here on YouTube (not by me):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsgFlthKJY
the AX-60 used to be on my wanted list for a long time a few years ago,
but yes, they are rather hard to find in Europe, so I eventually gave up getting one,
plus I wouldn't have the room anymore for another synth with keys.
A rack one would be nice (that VX90 sounds goddamn rich), but I've pretty much had my days with menu-driven racks (or keyboard synths) that need extra controllers.
I used to have too many of them over the years...
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

My current rig is a Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim OB. Mx, Novation Drumstation, and TR-626 and I mix in Logic and sampling from old synths I used to have. Some rack gear for signal processing.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !