marcel dettmann bass

- ask away
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: marcel dettmann bass

Post by Mono-xID »

yeah...the kick verb stuff you could hear back in 90's at Tresor a lot...it's nothing new
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

I'd appreciate it if you could link me to one song with that characteristic low end rumble. Like Corebox characterizes a lot of what is deemed as the typical Berghain sound, I think 5.7 Litre represents the same thing for the earlier sound of Tresor. The kick is really dry and tinny compared to a bunch of Ostgut stuff.

Also, I never told Cloutier to make bad synth patches and turn them into a pot of gold with effects. I just advised him not to stress too much over the original output. The advice is completely tied to its context and why I said it that way was to help him not get stuck in getting that synth output right before any effects, because the sound in the Dettmann's perc is in a complete symbiosis with its effects. You'll just get keep hitting walls if you try to get that sort of sound with a dry synth, because it's impossible. In this case, it's really hard to tell what direction you should take the synth's output to before you apply at least some of the needed effects on it. Then, when you have the effects in place, doing their thing, it's easier to see the direction you'd like to mold the waveform they're being fed to.
Last edited by Kleig on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I won't go digging for some similar stuff, other's might be able to think of some tunes that fit into the context.
They probably won't be exactly like that track. And then probably different to other tracks by Marcel. At least i hope so.
I bet M. Dettmann himself would have a good laugh if he read this. I'm out.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Kleig wrote:I'd appreciate it if you could link me to one song with that characteristic low end rumble. Like Corebox characterizes a lot of what is deemed as the typical Berghain sound, I think 5.7 Litre represents the same thing for the earlier sound of Tresor. The kick is really dry and tinny compared to a bunch of Ostgut stuff.

Also, I never told Cloutier to make bad synth patches and turn them into a pot of gold with effects. I just advised him not to stress too much over the original output. The advice is completely tied to its context and why I said it that way was to help him not get stuck in getting that synth output right before any effects, because the sound in the Dettmann's perc is in a complete symbiosis with its effects. You'll just get keep hitting walls if you try to get that sort of sound with a dry synth, because it's impossible. In this case, it's really hard to tell what direction you should take the synth's output to before you apply at least some of the needed effects on it. Then, when you have the effects in place, doing their thing, it's easier to see the direction you'd like to mold the waveform they're being fed to.
I think this track actually uses the same reverb bass trick.
You are right though in that effects are there to be used and abused. Sometimes there's too much anti effects propaganda. Techno is about abusing the elements we have to evolve them into something else.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

@Kleig: i just heard that stuff in my Tresor nights...obviously i didn't go to the DJ's and asked them which track this or that was...but like steevio said,Ostgut Ton NOT invented this type of Techno...

here this track is from 1998...it uses the same kick/verb trick but not that drastic like OTon artists...but you get the idea that this technique wasn't inventet by them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWLhYOI ... re=related
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

(*)
Last edited by Kleig on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

this is gettin too over-analyzing to me :) ..i'm out too
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

@kleig

i didnt mean to start up a whole saga when i said i disagreed with you, i just have a different opinion to you about thats all, it doesnt mean i'm right and you're wrong, only that we disagree.
just because i said i hardly use effects doesnt mean i'm advising anyone not to use effects, i only said that i dont use them.

what i did actually say was that the original sound you start with is important whether you use effects or not, is that not just common sense ?

in the 1990s i used loads of effects and often had huge reverbs on kick drums, because that was the fashion back then, i seriously cant be bothered to go looking for tracks that used that technique, there was thousands of them, its not even worth arguing about. to me that was the sound of 1990s techno, and it was used to a greater or lesser extent by many producers. Ostgut Ton stripped it down further and made a particular niche for themselves but its still techno....

this thread has become over analytical, so i'm out too, i'm sorry if i steered the original topic away from its purpose, it wasnt intentional, i just always react when i read something i totally disagree with, i could just have easily kept my mouth shut.
:)
Last edited by steevio on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.