How does Truncate create his sound?

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How does Truncate create his sound?

Post by eggnchips »

Yes yes, I know I should be creative and use my own imagination but I have been listening to Truncate and noticing he often uses a particular sound style in a lot of his tracks. He uses ride cymbals a lot and gives them this great distorted pumping sound. Is it side chain and something else. What do you think?

From 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY95osKcJbA
2:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkkC3-N ... re=related
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How does Truncate create his sound?

Post by Mono-xID »

yeah,Truncate (aka Audio Injection) works a lot with bit crushers and other "sound destroyers"...the ride thing is that....put different velocity and panning values on every midi-note..then a little bit of bit-crush/distortion and reverb....then sidechained to kick with the right attack/release values give me some decent results
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Any more tips/ideas?

Cloutier asks how to get a sound and he gets 97 replies.
What's the world coming to.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

try a vocoder with white noise as modulator on cymbals or open hats... and some filtering of course
Last edited by Rein on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

another good tip, is to run all the drums through a bus with some saturation distortion on it. It then starts to react in a very different way than if you apply it to one element only. Try and experiment with different settings and grouping. for example, send toms and hats/cymbals through the same bus. The lo-end of the toms might be much louder than the the highs, and that'll make the saturation react first to the toms instead of the hats.
That way, things start to inter-react in a very organic way.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Opuswerk wrote:another good tip, is to run all the drums through a bus with some saturation distortion on it. It then starts to react in a very different way than if you apply it to one element only. Try and experiment with different settings and grouping. for example, send toms and hats/cymbals through the same bus. The lo-end of the toms might be much louder than the the highs, and that'll make the saturation react first to the toms instead of the hats.
That way, things start to inter-react in a very organic way.

This sounds very interesting.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

eggnchips wrote:Any more tips/ideas?

Cloutier asks how to get a sound and he gets 97 replies.
What's the world coming to.

not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, but i'll let it slide. this time. *evil glare* :lol:
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

try Operator in Ableton for hi hats.

that's killer for interesting percussion. takes a long time to fiddle with it to get the good stuff though. have lots of thing modulating lots of other things. try with white noise as an operator as well. then use the filter at the end to get rid of the stuff that you don't need.

Cymbals are really hard to get right, the hamonics of a cymbal (or a hit hat) are really complex.

The Roland Tr808 uses 6 square waves at different frequecies which are then bandpass filtered. I think the manual for the Waldorf software drum machine has the exact details. You could start with that in almost any soft synth, and then distortion or reverb or something. Try everything.