Sub bass under kick OR under bassline

- ask away
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Sub bass under kick OR under bassline

Post by NoAffiliation »

you can have both on top of each other. kicks usually roll off hard once you get below the fundamental. the bass end of the kick is also pretty thin compared to a bass, like if you look at the kick on an analyzer the low end is pretty narrow in bands. so find the dominant frequency of the kick and scoop it out of the bass with a narrow Q slope, then do the same on the kick with the bass fundamental. I think the only thing you really want to avoid is having both kick and bass on top of each other at the same dominant frequency
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Thanks Hydrogen. I will let you know.

Like this article on bass:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1211
Schirall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Schirall »

Opuswerk wrote:Because there's so many different ways of doing a kickdrum and a bassline, it's almost impossible to tell you any good advice.
if it sounds good it's good. Really.

There's several post here dealing about kickdrums and basslines that have a wealth of information. Using the search function will definitely lead you somewhere interesting.

I love message boards, but audio/music production/engineering forums are loaded with this type of crap. Yeah we now that "every scenerio's different" and we know that you know so much (you and many others) and couldn't possibly explain your knowledge to a simpleton..."newbie". lol smh Meanwhile, in ten minutes,or a week or a month that newbie will know something you dont know because the web is just drowning in knowledge. Please dont waste time flashing your badge. Either answer or dont. And BTW, when you remove the smugness, it's obvious that you can certainly offer this guy advice. Yes, there are SO many ways that it's IMPOSSIBLE........

but HYPOTHETICALLY.... track with bassline vs. track without. Do YOU usually lace your kicks or do you leave them by themselves. Do YOU feel that leads to a weak sounding kick? How do you feel about the topic?

That or just STFU. Jeez. That's not a personal attack, either. You are part of a culture,but it wont be long before one of these pompous kings--- engineers is staring at that "newbie" looking for work. lol

Oh and always pointing out the forum's "search feature" like we have no idea it's there. We all now where the f---in "Search" button is. We wouldn't,however, have to use it half as much if people would either:
1. Answer the question
OR
2.STFU
Last edited by Schirall on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schirall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Schirall »

Ingemar wrote:My advice for you is to simply keep trying untill you yourself are happy with the results, but do continue to learn how others are doing.

As for myself ive adopted and put to practice much of what forum member Steevio has said/written here (search for steevio + bass! So much knowledge!)

what i would advice you to do is to drop the notion of "sub". Most people mean diffefent thingS with this word - to me it means inaudible frequency. Work with frequencies instead; learn what what frequency does in an audio component (e.g. 50-60Hz peak bass in 808 kick drum, 225-350 "mud range", wheres the presence etc.).

But above all, work with tonality and harmony!

Wow 2for2...our second type of audio forum poster. Our first was the wise sage who cant find words in his vocab simple enough for the average man. Here we have the kinder, friendlier genius who feels it is best to speak in generalities and keep it simple for the fools. He also likes to give a small teaser of some technique....but wont bother to explain it...simply sending the maggot newbie off to the SEARCH BUTTON. He has to drop just enough to let everyone know that HE knows.....haha
Funny thing is that in 15 minutes so will the OP......
In a perfect world this type should also STFU, except that with the current state of these forums that's usually the best you'll get......essentially turning a 5 min question into a scavenger hunt....Hey still beats the dark ages of the 20th century.

work with tonality and harmony!
lol Yeah....thanks a lot for that. Where else could you get such great advice?? And what's worse is you wasted YOUR time with that crap. At least there are less keystrokes in:

"I dont have an answer, but I want you (and everyone here) to know that I know more about this subject than you (at least at time of this writing) Good Luck sucker!! hahaha"
Last edited by Schirall on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Schirall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Schirall »

mehta wrote:Why doesn't your kick have energy below 80hz?

You may have read somewhere about high-passing your kick - this is a terrible idea for house music.

It's not necessary to split your bass into layers.

Just make sure your elements have presence and are arranged/tuned so that they don't clash.

Maybe you should post an example of the sound you are trying to achieve. Remember that most of the great deep house tracks were produced very simply without much if any processing. Keep it simple.
Holy sh!t we are running the gamut here! Classic:
"You may have read somewhere about high-passing your kick"

haha...silly fool How stupid can you be?

At least you kind of tried to help. I suppose:
"Just make sure your elements have presence and are arranged/tuned so that they don't clash."

is a step above "tonality and harmony" smh and you DID offer a followup (or perhaps a chance to further tee-off)

but how about: "Dude, for the record never high pass your kick for house music. You could even add "...it's a stupid idea" if you must but.............

It's called ego ladies and gentlemen.
Schirall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Schirall »

Stomper wrote:
mehta wrote:Why doesn't your kick have energy below 80hz?

You may have read somewhere about high-passing your kick - this is a terrible idea for house music.
not a bad idea to cut low frequencies, just bad to cut up to 80hz :)
no reason not to cut frequencies that the speaker cant produce as long as they dont change the timbre

OK Good post. Good job of watchdog-ing the thread and correcting bad information....but you are obviously someone with a bit of knowledge regarding kick drums and low frequencies....NO THOUGHTS ON THE OP??? Holy S---
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Brilliant.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Schirall wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:Because there's so many different ways of doing a kickdrum and a bassline, it's almost impossible to tell you any good advice.
if it sounds good it's good. Really.

There's several post here dealing about kickdrums and basslines that have a wealth of information. Using the search function will definitely lead you somewhere interesting.

I love message boards, but audio/music production/engineering forums are loaded with this type of crap. Yeah we now that "every scenerio's different" and we know that you know so much (you and many others) and couldn't possibly explain your knowledge to a simpleton..."newbie". lol smh Meanwhile, in ten minutes,or a week or a month that newbie will know something you dont know because the web is just drowning in knowledge. Please dont waste time flashing your badge. Either answer or dont. And BTW, when you remove the smugness, it's obvious that you can certainly offer this guy advice. Yes, there are SO many ways that it's IMPOSSIBLE........

but HYPOTHETICALLY.... track with bassline vs. track without. Do YOU usually lace your kicks or do you leave them by themselves. Do YOU feel that leads to a weak sounding kick? How do you feel about the topic?

That or just STFU. Jeez. That's not a personal attack, either. You are part of a culture,but it wont be long before one of these pompous kings--- engineers is staring at that "newbie" looking for work. lol

Oh and always pointing out the forum's "search feature" like we have no idea it's there. We all now where the f---in "Search" button is. We wouldn't,however, have to use it half as much if people would either:
1. Answer the question
OR
2.STFU

Comical this mate so well done for being a number one pristine shiny BELL END! At least you've quirked things up around here.