Sub bass under kick OR under bassline

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Sub bass under kick OR under bassline

Post by N - Jay »

Hey all,

I've been in doubt with this. Should I put the sub under the kick, or under the upper bass (octave C1 and up)? (There are no rules I know).
Is it necessary to put a sub under a kick? I mean, does it need to be there?

The bassline tends to play on off and upbeats so the kick is sometimes left alone (no downbeat hitting). Therefore not hearing any bass below 80 hz --> so wimpy kick.

However it feels like OR a wimpy kick OR a wimpy bass.

I've got a separate midi track with one note pattern playing for the sub synth (sinewave) LP EQ till 80/90 hz. This pattern is the same as the upper bass (SQ/SAW) playing.
I've got a upper bass HP EQ from 90 Hz

I want to produce a full round deep house track. From Sub to High.

How do you guys approach this and advise me?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Sub bass under kick OR under bassline

Post by Opuswerk »

Because there's so many different ways of doing a kickdrum and a bassline, it's almost impossible to tell you any good advice.
if it sounds good it's good. Really.

There's several post here dealing about kickdrums and basslines that have a wealth of information. Using the search function will definitely lead you somewhere interesting.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

My advice for you is to simply keep trying untill you yourself are happy with the results, but do continue to learn how others are doing.

As for myself ive adopted and put to practice much of what forum member Steevio has said/written here (search for steevio + bass! So much knowledge!)

what i would advice you to do is to drop the notion of "sub". Most people mean diffefent thingS with this word - to me it means inaudible frequency. Work with frequencies instead; learn what what frequency does in an audio component (e.g. 50-60Hz peak bass in 808 kick drum, 225-350 "mud range", wheres the presence etc.).

But above all, work with tonality and harmony!
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Why doesn't your kick have energy below 80hz?

You may have read somewhere about high-passing your kick - this is a terrible idea for house music.

It's not necessary to split your bass into layers.

Just make sure your elements have presence and are arranged/tuned so that they don't clash.

Maybe you should post an example of the sound you are trying to achieve. Remember that most of the great deep house tracks were produced very simply without much if any processing. Keep it simple.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

mehta wrote:Why doesn't your kick have energy below 80hz?

You may have read somewhere about high-passing your kick - this is a terrible idea for house music.
not a bad idea to cut low frequencies, just bad to cut up to 80hz :)
no reason not to cut frequencies that the speaker cant produce as long as they dont change the timbre
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Opuswerk wrote:Because there's so many different ways of doing a kickdrum and a bassline, it's almost impossible to tell you any good advice.
if it sounds good it's good. Really.

There's several post here dealing about kickdrums and basslines that have a wealth of information. Using the search function will definitely lead you somewhere interesting.
+1
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Allright guys. I've tuned my kick up a fifth of my root bassnote A1 for starters and filtered the kick to 35 hz for the rumble.
And made the patch with an octave below -1 for the sub. Let's keep it simple for starters.

I will look into the given topics.

Thanks.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Very cool! Would love to hear what you are building... Just the basics... Kick, bass snare sounds.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest