loops/ bitches or saints?

- ask away
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: loops/ bitches or saints?

Post by optX »

I understand why people, including myself, have problems with the usage of loops (although from time to time I am using parts of a loop too and recreate it with fx and whatelse).
For me it`s the same thing as djing with traktor : I have spent so much hours learning how to beatmatch with vinyl and then another guy is coming and i doing that thing in 1 second without ever touching a deck or sweating blood and swearing like hell.
But hey, that`s the time now, we have those technologies, we have those premastered loops, so it`s legit that people are using them. Of course it feels strange when you hear that #3 track on beatport and its made out of loops which aren`t really processed. But who cares, we are making music because its fun and we love it, don`t care about things that are bothering (*)
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:I don't use loops at all. Sometimes i sample stuff from like disco records and stuff so I guess thats using loops in a way but I never use samplepackloops. I tried doing it a few times but I can never seem to make music the way I wan't it to sound it just sounds like the fcking loops, so i get super irritated and then make something on my own or just delete everything and play computergames instead.

I'm guessing the pros never use loops, the two cats you mention have been in the game so long that they started when there wern't any loops so they learnt making music a totaly different way then with loops and I'm guessing they haven't changed their workflow completly to work with loops.

PS
The idea of Adam Beyer or Liebing using a "Sound like Beyer" or "Sound like Liebing" samplepack is just to trippy.
Both have done so more than once.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

i don't get why people look down on the use of loops. no loop can make a record for you. certainly no one is going to listen to copy and pasted loops on the grid that don't change...

there are ways to make the loops not sound very loopy at all. i personally love techno that is hypnotic and built around loops, but it doesn't mean it's just a loop repeating.

try laying down a 4/4 kick and find a one bar loop that fits it. instead of copying and pasting try "quilting" the loop around the kick, so the loop would be starting slightly off the grid every time it restarts. this gives a really nice trotting swing and also allows you to ensure silence between when the new loop starts. you would really be amazed how long you can ride a groove for if you play around with timing.

the above technique goes for self made loops as well, anything really
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

optX wrote:I have spent so much hours learning how to beatmatch with vinyl and then another guy is coming and i doing that thing in 1 second without ever touching a deck or sweating blood and swearing like hell.
really?...it took me ten minutes...a frind showed me how to pitch on the turntables and i was ready to go...to be honest,everybody with a little rhythmic feeling is able to beatmatch 2 records...beatmatching is nothing special imo...

the mixing skillz like right equalisation,keeping the levels right,cool cuts or blends,track selection,work with effects etc. during the mix...this is the hard part to learn...and this is something that software can't do for you.....but not the beatmatching itself...

i'm glad that i don't have to beatmatch anymore so i can concentrate more on the other and more important aspects of a good mix...

but it is a neverending story...the conservatives vs. the innovatives
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

Mono-xID wrote: really?...it took me ten minutes...a frind showed me how to pitch on the turntables and i was ready to go...to be honest,everybody with a little rhythmic feeling is able to beatmatch 2 records...beatmatching is nothing special imo...
+1 i know total d-bags that can mix records perfectly in sync. doesn't mean they take me or anyone on a journey or make me dance
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

These 1-10 minute stories always make me laugh.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

why??? -boom ....beatmatching isn't that hard to learn....i started mixing Drum N Bass back in '96....my friend told me "you just have to match the two snares with the pitch of the turntable" he showed me how to do that...after 10 min of trying i mixed my first two records...that's it...

people who say it took them ages to beatmatch properly makes me laugh,because it isn't that difficult

it's like learning how to ride with the bicycle...at the moment where u can hold the balance you're able to ride a bike...HOW you ride it is another story,but you can ride at least....easy...
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

Mono-xID wrote:
optX wrote:I have spent so much hours learning how to beatmatch with vinyl and then another guy is coming and i doing that thing in 1 second without ever touching a deck or sweating blood and swearing like hell.
really?...it took me ten minutes...a frind showed me how to pitch on the turntables and i was ready to go...to be honest,everybody with a little rhythmic feeling is able to beatmatch 2 records...beatmatching is nothing special imo...

[...]

but it is a neverending story...the conservatives vs. the innovatives
however.

you are quoting what I`ve said and take it out of context. like the popular press.

my following sentence was :
"But hey, that`s the time now, we have those technologies, we have those premastered loops, so it`s legit that people are using them"

Does this mean to you that I am a "conservative" guy who says loops or traktor is cheating?