loops/ bitches or saints?

- ask away
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: loops/ bitches or saints?

Post by Harry »

I think if you're trying to produce the kind of techno or house sounds you find in loop packs, it's so much better to make your own. They're not that hard to make and it's worth knowing how to do it so you can begin to variate on them and get your own sound going.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

tone-def wrote:
Harry wrote:I've been using drum loops a bit more in the past few months. I did have the same opinion as you (hNRk), and used to to stay completely away from them, but have recently got some the loopmaster jazz sessions pack and the live drum loops are great!
thats probably a lot more useful than any techno or house loops.
I just recently got some acoustic drum packs myself (some jazz, some not) and I've been working them in wherever I can... "real" hi-hats just sound so good.

-K
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harry »

I just recently got some acoustic drum packs myself (some jazz, some not) and I've been working them in wherever I can... "real" hi-hats just sound so good.
Yeah man, can't beat it! I'm a sucker for a nice smooth ride cymbal rhythm as well
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

Harry wrote:I try not to use them to the point where they rule the whole feel of the track, obviously the core beat of the track i make - kicks, snares hats etc. But when you find the right loop it can really give a nice roll and flow to the beat.
yeah well thats what i was experiencing too. they dont dominate my tracks but without the something would be missing. allthough i only use small excerpts of them...
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

hNRk wrote:yeah well thats what i was experiencing too. they dont dominate my tracks but without the something would be missing. allthough i only use small excerpts of them...
Don't ever let people on forums determine what you do or don't do when it comes to stuff like this. The overriding rule is, "if it sounds right, it IS right" - the rest is up to your discretion. There are always gonna be guys who are hardcore against using loops, and there are gonna be guys who do nothing put paste loops together in GarageBand and think that they're the business. As long as you aren't letting loop pack makers determine the overall sound of your productions - as long as you're editing, mangling, and using bits and bobs and fills - nobody's gonna be able to tell the difference, and that's the only thing that matters.

Personally, someday I'd love to be able to say, "I synthesize all my own drum samples from hardware, record them, and build all my loops from scratch like that" - but right now, for the sound I'm going for, it's much more feasible to sample chunks of loops and take it from there.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

if a loop fits in the track and give it a cool edge then why i should not use it? of course i never just throw it in 1 to 1...i slice it up,work with envelopes,heavy effects usage...depends on the track but i like using loops in a creative way...there is nothing wrong with using them...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it depends what sound your going for.

these dance sample packs all have this very plastic aesthetic. you can hear it all over the Beatport charts. if that's what your going for then these dance loops will get you on the right track.

if you do something a bit deeper i'd stay clear of the dance sample packs. acoustic instruments are good if you can't record them for whatever reason.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I love loops. I find them inspiring. If i gave out loops or people sampled my percussive efforts
i wouldn't look down on them. Loads of pros do the same. I reckon one major part is they often
don't get bogged down in can't do this, can't do that. They get on with their stuff. Get the ball rolling.
You can always go into details when the structure is there. Working on perfecting a hihat whilst just have started a
beat is pretty much receipe for desaster. You can always do that later.
There is something to be learnt from that.
Doesn't mean the loops stay in my tunes or aren't just cut up whatever but i am starting to find great
enjoyment adding them to my stuff. Sometimes it's just a match made in heaven.
It has been done for ages and ages to. Doesn't make it any more ''right'' but it isn't exactly a new thing.
Talk about the amen break, eh. Entire genre built on that. Now i don't quite understand that but i don't mind, really.
Just ain't my music.