MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

Post by Robot Criminal »

lem wrote: I'm not sure on this mate. I once had sync problems with Cubase and I read* that it is often better to use the Midi on the soundcard than any external midi interface when recording audio.
I don't have midi on my audio interface :(

I've read quite a lot on the subject over at g-slutz and I've had the impression better to avoid computers as midi sync source - something to do with midi (and midi sync) being quite at the end of the line of things the processor deals with, hence introducing jitter.
I think I have to make a shootout between micro express sync vs. live vs. mpc -urk
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: MIDI experts? MTC / sync troubles

Post by steevio »

Robot Criminal wrote:
lem wrote: I'm not sure on this mate. I once had sync problems with Cubase and I read* that it is often better to use the Midi on the soundcard than any external midi interface when recording audio.
I don't have midi on my audio interface :(

I've read quite a lot on the subject over at g-slutz and I've had the impression better to avoid computers as midi sync source - something to do with midi (and midi sync) being quite at the end of the line of things the processor deals with, hence introducing jitter.
I think I have to make a shootout between micro express sync vs. live vs. mpc -urk
i've read all that stuff too, but i dont have any issues with it...
i dont understand it, midi is so simple, it surely takes very little processing power. i used to sync my whole studio from cubase on a really crappy old PC back in 1996, that barely had the processing power of a calculator, so i dont think computers are the problem, its the software.

have you tried cubase ? cubase started out as a purely midi program, so it has that at its heart, whereas Live had poor midi implementation when it was first introduced. I suspect that Live might be causing many of these issues.