A thought/Idea that I have yet to try.

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: A thought/Idea that I have yet to try.

Post by tone-def »

kivetros wrote:
tone-def wrote:everyone uses different techniques. if you like using sidechaining and it makes your tracks sound better, don't let people on forums put you off.
Fair enough - but if there are any arguments against using sidechaining, I'd love to hear them. It's a technique that I've always taken for granted as an essential tool in every producer's arsenal, but if there's a way to get a track to pump and flow without sidechaining everything together, I'd like to know (in better interest of learning more about the craft).

-K
sidechaining everything together is something i'd never do. just the kick and bass, in a not so obvious way.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Sounds great Hydrogen...
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

AK wrote:Well one of the reasons I don't use it is because I like to create my own dynamics with velocity which I try to use to get a certain groove. Could be a 'push/pull' thing, or it could be a flowing, pumping thing etc. But then, I find in order to get the sidechain effect to actually do something, the effect is has interferes with my intended groove.
This is exactly why I asked. I am going to have to experiment with that... this could be why I struggle sometimes to get subtle grooves, and it would explain how some other producers that I listen to could potentially be getting their grooves so tight. I can't wait to get home tonight and give this a shot. Thank you for your insight.

While we're talking groove, is it a good thing to have different amounts of swing on different perc tracks, or should everything be swung together? Does BPM affect this at all? (Does this warrant a separate topic?)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its probably my rule number one, dont use the same frequency for the kick and bass,

unless you have exactly the same frequency and they are totally in sync, you'll get either beating or phase problems which might not show up on your monitors, but could when they are moving air in a sound system sub cabinet.

of course it would be less of a problem if you had a very short decay on your kick.

still, not for me.

btw hydrogen, track sounds cool
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kivetros wrote:
AK wrote:Well one of the reasons I don't use it is because I like to create my own dynamics with velocity which I try to use to get a certain groove. Could be a 'push/pull' thing, or it could be a flowing, pumping thing etc. But then, I find in order to get the sidechain effect to actually do something, the effect is has interferes with my intended groove.
This is exactly why I asked. I am going to have to experiment with that... this could be why I struggle sometimes to get subtle grooves, and it would explain how some other producers that I listen to could potentially be getting their grooves so tight. I can't wait to get home tonight and give this a shot. Thank you for your insight.

While we're talking groove, is it a good thing to have different amounts of swing on different perc tracks, or should everything be swung together? Does BPM affect this at all? (Does this warrant a separate topic?)
yeah i agree with AK. but its personal taste. i never sidechain, i find it interferes with my grooves too.

different swings are good, but theres been topics about that on here before try searching it.
yes BPM is relative to swing, slower the tempo, more swing you can put on.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

AK wrote:You've said this before and I keep thinking I'm in there when you say this to people because I have said I don't use it. I would never say don't use it or anything, that's just stupid, all I have said is that I myself don't use it. :)
i'm not having a dig or anything. i'm just saying what works for one person might not work for another.

i thought kivetros was saying he's not going to use it just because some other people don't. it's best to try things out for yourself and decide what sounds best.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

:oops: :oops: damn... i should have waited till i got home!!!!! ok... loling at myself now. I don't know if you guys remember but a long time ago i was talking about this and having all kinds of problems with kick/bass and key and i was asking all kinds of problems about it... this was one of the problem tracks and now i remember why i was confused! Taking Steevios advice I ended up putting the kick up a couple keys from E to G and it fixed all my problems! :)

Give me a moment i'll dig up some files on this. I'm sure i can find an old render where this problem exists.

I'm so sorry guys for misleading!

also a great tool to check your frequency specs... is a sonogram. http://www.meldaproduction.com/freevstp ... alyzer.php
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Steevio, I remember you posting something not too long ago about using PWM to be able to have a kick and bass occupying the same territory and not phasing out. I may be mis-remembering though.