Are synths necessary?

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Are synths necessary?

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
Hades wrote: For example, steevio, I remember you saying a few days ago how you don't even finish listening to tracks from producers (for your festival's line-up) if the kicks aren't in tune with the rest of the track.
So you can say it's not a "rule", but in reality you kind of don't like people that make tracks that don't apply this "trick" or whatever you want to call it.
You understand what I'm saying, right ? ;)
dont misquote me bro though please, i never said that.

i said i wouldnt book a DJ who mixed tunes in a dischordant way with tunes out of key.

theres a big difference. when i'm on a dancefloor and being hypnotised. i dont want to be rudely brought down from my trip.
artists can do what they want as far as i'm concerned as long as its interesting. its harder for DJs to get that right because they are trying to mix two ideas, for the producer, its his own ideas he's mixing.
apologies for the misquote. I was actually doubting when I typed it if you were talking about DJ's or producers. I guess I guessed wrong.
Sorry, my mistake. ! :oops:

fair enough, you can do what you want if you make your tracks,
but since most of the people that make techno or other "four-to-the-floor" elecronic music, do hope that people will dance to it,
they will also hope that DJ's will play it,
and if you want the DJ to play your track, there's usually a few "tricks" that will improve your chances, no ?
that's all I'm saying, that this "there's no rules"-thing only truely counts if you're not aiming for the dance floor.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

some of my recent stuff has been 100% sample based.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote: and if you want the DJ to play your track, there's usually a few "tricks" that will improve your chances, no ?
that's all I'm saying, that this "there's no rules"-thing only truely counts if you're not aiming for the dance floor.
no not for me these days. i just make the music i want to, and i know that a really good DJ will be able to play it if he really wants to. my last release has a track that comes straight in with everything blazing, bass and all, i dont have a problem at all mixing it myself, but i can imagine some DJs thinking 'i'm not buying that, where's the intro/outro ?'
another track on the release is only just over 4 minutes long, again i dont have a problem mixing it, and yet another track is in 9/8 time signature...etc.. it's still aimed at the dancefloor though.

i've given a few promos to the DJs i most respect and know can easily handle mixing it.. but i dont expect to sell truckloads to the masses, but i dont have to, vinyl runs these days are quite small usually limited, the people out there who can see something in the music will buy it for its musical content and not cheap tricks to make it DJ friendly. i'm happy with that.

are synths necessary ? for me synthesis is necessary, but thats just personal preference, for me its what techno is all about.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

why not try to make a killer track with just percussion and smart fx and movement in it?
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Yeah, do what ever you want. You don't have to use chords etc.

Here are some rhythm tracks for example:

kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

Rein wrote:why not try to make a killer track with just percussion and smart fx and movement in it?
tsankip wrote:Yeah, do what ever you want. You don't have to use chords etc.
I didn't know if I could get away with doing that or not... I didn't know that anybody else was. I guess that might be because even though I've been listening to a lot of minimal and tech house for the last year or so, I haven't really been involved with a community that was very interested in producing it, so I didn't have anyone to ask. I'm still getting used to the "anything goes" mentality.

tsankip, those two tracks that you posted are fantastic - that's what I'm going for. Thanks for letting me know that other people are doing stuff like this.

-K
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Music is the movement of sound over time. As long as your music moves in some manner and creates interest, it doesn't matter what you used to do it; synths or samples or recordings.

My journey is currently enveloped within synthesis though. I wanted to get away from samples and now I'm learning as much as I can about synthesizing my own sounds and it's been dang tootin so far.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

jessejames wrote:Music is the movement of sound over time. As long as your music moves in some manner and creates interest, it doesn't matter what you used to do it; synths or samples or recordings.
yes, exactly!