FM Synthesis

- ask away
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

FM Synthesis

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I recently purchased an Yamaha tx802 FM Sound generator which I'm currently learning the user interface for. I was wondering if there are any good general FM synthesis resources out there to quicken the learning FM sounddesign process for me. Have been experimenting with simple drums and stuff and am pretty content but would like to dive a bit deeper in this subject since I'm planning to try and make full tracks with more or less just this synth.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: FM Synthesis

Post by ekwipt »

Not sure I'm sure there's stuff on YouTube though.

I've got a TG-77 which sounds amazing
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Theres this http://www.dubbhism.com/search/label/tao%20of%20fm which was good but I'd like something more, maybe like a book or something.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

FM synthesis is easy! Just change the settings randomly until it sounds good. Or at least that's what I do. I got no idea how FM actually works.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Well... the classic synth secrets lessons on soundonsound are always good!

Aniway barfunkel you will be surprised how actually your sound design can improve if you know how fm synthesis work.

Basically you have two osc (in a basic patch), a carrier and a modulator. You cant actually hear the modulator. His function is simply to modify the frequency of the carrier.

You can basically take a basic sine and add harmonics and odd harmonics, to transform it to basically an entirely different sound. Combine this with various oscillators, frequency shifters and ring modulators and you have drum synthesis heaven, because it become easy to emulate various drum modes (not always faithfully, but whatever, in techno is not this important, and if you need real drum sounds you always have samples.)
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

flyshe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by flyshe »

Check this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Fm-Theory-Applica ... 4636174828